Is there an adjustible advance distributor for j13.

GTFORZA

I've been working on cars since I could climb my way into an engine bay and the one thing I've seen always work to find a couple of extra hp is to get maximum advance without detonation. Are there any distributors thatare interchangeable with the j13 distributor that offer more than 11°-15° of advance maybe along the lines of 20°. I do not want to be extreme with it because I like using cheap gas.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can advance it myself which ive done but I want a distributor that will advance more through the rpm range. Right now im using middle grade fuel with no issue. Just judging off the advance im running with 87 octane I could have 10:1 compression at this altitude with no detonation.

I want a distributor that will advance more through the rpm range.

You want a distributor with increased mechanical advance. Datsun distributors control this via the Governor, which is comprised of:

* 22109 WEIGHT-governor

* 22110 SET-SPRING, governor

* 22132 ASS'Y-cam

The cam has precision slots and controls the total amount of mechanical advance. The springs and weights control the RPM at which full mechanical advance occurs. All Datsun distributors use the same weights, but various springs are available.

Are there any distributors thatare interchangeable with the j13 distributor that offer more than 11°-15° of advance maybe along the lines of 20°.

Yes. Many. The J13 uses a Hitachi D410 distributor, which was used by most Datsuns circa 1965-1973. Cam that allow around 20 degrees (10 degrees at the distributor) was used by Z-car in Japan, though most were more than 20 degrees.

I've heard it said that the slots can be carefully filed to make them longer, thus increasing the advance range.

24018.jpg

You want a distributor with increased mechanical advance. Datsun distributors control this via the Governor, which is comprised of:* 22109 WEIGHT-governor* 22110 SET-SPRING, governor* 22132 ASS'Y-camThe cam has precision slots and controls the total amount of mechanical advance. The springs and weights control the RPM at which full mechanical advance occurs. All Datsun distributors use the same weights, but various springs are available.Yes. Many. The J13 uses a Hitachi D410 distributor, which was used by most Datsuns circa 1965-1973. Cam that allow around 20 degrees (10 degrees at the distributor) was used by Z-car in Japan, though most were more than 20 degrees.I've heard it said that the slots can be carefully filed to make them longer, thus increasing the advance range.24018.jpg

According to my service manual advance starts at 450 rpm but idle is set at 600 rpm. Honestly just having a heavier spring and advancing a lite more past the where the points click would make the mid range and upper rpm's pretty decent without losing low rpm.