The Fireturd

Alright well I'm working on my sister's 87 Firebird and I keep having fuel delivery issues. The car has a late model 350 efi motor out of my gmc pickup and has been converted to run off a carb. Since there is no where to run a mechanical fuel pump off of I've been using universal pumps, but so far every fuel pump I've had has gone out within hours of use. So recently I installed an intank fuel pump thinking it would be the better direction to go, well the car won't start now. I can hear the pump kick on when the car is turning over. I'm going to have to pull the tank anyway because I believe I forgot to install the fuel strainer before I installed the pump. just as a question would the lack of a fuel strainer keep it from building fuel pressure? I have a fuel regulator installed on the car, a return line going back to the tank, a fuel pressure gauge is hooked up and should work, as it did back when I was use external pumps. The fuel lines seem to have fuel in them but it doesn't seem like the pump is working very well, fuel isn't really flowing up the line to the carb. Any advice would be nice.

• Like 7
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using low pressure electric pumps made for carbs, they all burn out. Using am airtex intank pump and haven't had much luck, was considering getting the foam baffle crap for this tank, not sure if I'm going to yet. Dropped the tank today and working on putting the strainer in tomorrow and a switch to turn the pump on or off.