Hitachi with auto tranny

kevins750

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Idle mixture may be off. The mixture screw is the large one on the far right with the spring coiled around it. With timing and valve lash checked and set on a warm motor idling in neutral... turn the screw inwards until idle deteriorates. Turn out until idle deteriorates. Select a point about half way between these two points. The idle may improve and increase. If it does, turn it down with the other idle speed screw  just to the left of the rust stain in the picture below. Repeat the in and out adjustment looking for an improved, smoother strong idle. If idle increases turn down and repeat until it cannot be improved. If this fails to bring the idle up in gear just turn the idle speed screw in slightly.

101_0100.jpg

A good strong idle requires a good strong intake vacuum. So...

Check your valve lash clearance.

Check your ignition timing.

Check all vacuum hoses including your vacuum brake booster for cracks and leaks. Is the carb bolted down tightly? Manifold bolts snug?

What is the difference between and auto carb and manual? there are separate part numbers...Maybe I am saying this wrong.....I have good strong IDLE when I am in neutral but when I shift into gear with my foot on the brake then my idle dips below the 650 rpms that are stated in the tune up guide lines....

Perhaps your brake booster is leaking? Try in gear with the hand brake on or against a curb so you don't have to use the brake.

I will try that,,,,sounds good...vacuum is around 15 when brakes are applied and truck shakes pretty bad..anyway thanks for all the suggestions...