1965 l320 engine upgrade

Does anybody have a j13 from the early years (1971 or earlier) for sale? I sure would like to upgrade from my e1, it works but leaks and no parts are available. supposedly the early j13's fit right in on the mounts. any help would be appreciated. also if anyone knows of another easy engine conversion, do tell. I'm all ears. -Joel

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"No parts available"

You realize that the E1 and J13 share many of the parts, right? Pistons, gaskets, etc. Yes, the dist caps are different but the later dists can be used if the E1 isn't the earliest version (there were 3 versions of the E1, differentiated by serial number, but if yours is the original '65 it should be the late version). And the J15 and J16 also fit just fine, but you have to use the E1 peashooter exhaust manifold because the J-series one doesn't clear the steering gearbox on the 320.

Of course, if you're looking for an engine it generally helps to post where you are. There are many along the West coast (well, many in comparison to the East coast) but it's generally not worth trying to ship them.

Other than stock, no engine swap is gonna be easy. Considering the small engine bay, an A-series engine might make the most sense. Kinda depends on what your goals (and skills and budget) are.

Wasn't there someone in Florida with a J13 (I think it was running) for sale cheap?

Actually, Pete, the J13/J15/J16 swap into a vehicle that came with an E1 is pretty much as easy as swapping a L20B into a L16 510. They're that close. Mounts and transmission bolt pattern is identical- an E1 is basically a "J12" except for that cannister oil filter assembly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.