Need 5 speed tranny information for Datsun 76' 710

dharmen

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your 4 speed is a short 26" long F4W63L so there are two ways to go here.

FS5W63A dogleg..... same length so no drive shaft shortening needed. Same exact gears but with a 16% overdrive 5th gear. Average strength, able to support a stock L20B motor. Rear mount needs modification. Oddball reverse above first shift pattern. Only used on the early 200sx and optional on the later 510 so not many around or that are in good shape.

R.2.4

FS5W71B ................ longer 31.5" so a shorter driveshaft needed. However a 710 automatic drive shaft will fit exactly. Comes in wide, med, and close ratios gear sets some with a 25% over drive 5th gear. Very strong and used behind six cylinder motors and over 160 hp. Needs transmission mount modifications. Used on the 620 truck, 720 truck, 280z and 280-zx and the 810/Maxima... lots were made.

Your 4 speed is a short 26" long F4W63L so there are two ways to go here.

FS5W63A dogleg..... same length so no drive shaft shortening needed. Same exact gears but with a 16% overdrive 5th gear. Average strength, able to support a stock L20B motor. Rear mount needs modification. Oddball reverse above first shift pattern. Only used on the early 200sx and optional on the later 510 so not many around or that are in good shape.

R.2.4

FS5W71B ................ longer 31.5" so a shorter driveshaft needed. However a 710 automatic drive shaft will fit exactly. Comes in wide, med, and close ratios gear sets some with a 25% over drive 5th gear. Very strong and used behind six cylinder motors and over 160 hp. Needs transmission mount modifications. Used on the 620 truck, 720 truck, 280z and 280-zx and the 810/Maxima... lots were made.

Good Info as always DatzenMike!

Its too bad no one out there makes a rebuilt kit for the Dogleg.  When I bought my 510 it had the dogleg in it, but 2, 3, and 4th were shot.  Swaped back to the 4 speed, and I plan on doing a build thread when I tear apart the dogleg to try and figure out what is wrong.

Hey all, just found this in a much much older post here on Ratsun.  Seems like they are still up and running:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/nissan_f5w71_overhaul_kit.html#FS5W71C

No gears, but synchros, gaskets, etc... 

My DogLeg was out of a '77 200sx, but judging by this supplier they do not carry anything that old for a dogleg.....  interesting to say the least.

I hope this info is helping the OP, and not turning into a thread-jack ;-)