1984 720 4WD - Need Rear Axle/Parking Brake Cable Help

thanksmatt

Hi y'all, new ratsun member/720 driver here. I'm currently replacing the rear axle and I have run into a block with the parking brake cables. The service manual isn't very clear on how to remove them and they seem to be completely stuck. From what I've found out from other non-nissan/720 forums I have to cut the old ones and replace them with new cables (which looks like a hard to find couple of cables for the time crunch I'm in).

Does anyone have experience with this that could offer some advice?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can disconnect the parking brake cables at the rear brake shoe pivot where they attach. You probably have to remove the brake shoes to do this.I found that my right side PB cable was seized and had to be replaced.

The cables are available, I ordered three of them before I got the right one. I have a 82 720 KC.

The Haynes manual I have illustrates the parking brake system fairly well.

As as the time crunch goes, Just carry some chocks and call it good. That's what I did until I got mine hooked up and working.

slemers

• 1 month later...

Hi I had issues w/ my parking brake also & it turned out to be the front cable was seized, so I removed it by disconnecting it  w/the pivot adjusting mechanism(under truck by fuel pump)  from the rear cables, than disconnected it from the handle, then pulled the clip on the firewall and pulled  the front off the cable out of the firewall and then went back under truck and removed front cable. I pulled a used one @ pic n pull and installed it(reverse of removal steps) & once adjusted it works fine.hope this helps, Tom