Is it any way I can take off the front cover off with the head still on

Datsunrider71

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but there are two small bolts (10mm heads) on either side of the front of the head going down into the timing cover.

One of the water pump bolts goes through into the front of the block.

Crank pulley must come off.

Distributor and oil pump must come off. There is a bolt behind the oil pump that also has to come off.

Loosen the front and a few side bolts on the oil pan.

It should be free to take off.

Yes but there are two small bolts (10mm heads) on either side of the front of the head going down into the timing cover.

One of the water pump bolts goes through into the front of the block.

Crank pulley must come off.

Distributor and oil pump must come off. There is a bolt behind the oil pump that also has to come off.

Loosen the front and a few side bolts on the oil pan.

It should be free to take off.

I did all of that and it doesn't want to come off its stuck on good.

The thing is I have to take everything back off to put the tensioner back on and put it on time I had it wrong

The head gasket above the timing cover doesn't have to contain any compression from cylinder firing. It only has to seal in fumes and oil spray from the chain. You can cut out any damage and use an old piece of used head gasket or smear some RTV on it. Same with the oil pan but they are cheaper so cut out the damaged part if there is any and seal it up with RTV.

The head gasket above the timing cover doesn't have to contain any compression from cylinder firing. It only has to seal in fumes and oil spray from the chain. You can cut out any damage and use an old piece of used head gasket or smear some RTV on it. Same with the oil pan but they are cheaper so cut out the damaged part if there is any and seal it up with RTV.

Okay will do.

I was try to take it off the why you me tell me too but I stoped the cover was fixing and I didn't want to brake it but that's the why to take it off right?

I didn't say to break it. Remove everything and loosen the oil pan bolts half way down each side. Try tio slip a knife between pan and timing cover to separate the gasket. If it gets cut it's fixable. Try to pry the timing cover out from the bottom. There are a couple of very small dowels to align it up against the block. Once pried forward and off these it should drop away from the head gasket.

Here's the back side of the timing cover. (oil pan would be at the bottom) There is a dowel down by the oil pump, thumb, and one up behind the distributor, little finger

Z22timingcoverLarge.jpg

I didn't say to break it. Remove everything and loosen the oil pan bolts half way down each side. Try tio slip a knife between pan and timing cover to separate the gasket. If it gets cut it's fixable. Try to pry the timing cover out from the bottom. There are a couple of very small dowels to align it up against the block. Once pried forward and off these it should drop away from the head gasket.

Here's the back side of the timing cover. (oil pan would be at the bottom) There is a dowel down by the oil pump, thumb, and one up behind the distributor, little finger

Z22timingcoverLarge.jpg

Okay thanks DM