Slave cylinder popping seal?

73DATSON

Ok I have a L20B with a 280z 5speed, don't know the year of tranny? Don't know if there a difference with in years of the 70s? But anyway my slave cyl keep bursting like if the clucth set might be too much for it? Running a 240mm and 18lb flywheel. I'm thinking the PPlate is shot???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need mo' info. Has this clutch been running well for you for awhile and gradually (or suddenly) got worse? Was the clutch action good when the slave cylinder blew out? Is it a new (or rebuilt with a kit) slave? What pressure plate is it? When you say the slave is bursting, does that mean the seal and piston are coming clear out of the cylinder? Sorry to burden you with all the questions, but I'm trying to form a mental pic of what is going on and it is pretty fuzzy. :lol:

There have been some recent clutch problem posts in the last few weeks, but I don't recall anything with blowing slave cylinders.

Len

Len right. What is the complete history on this set up? Or is it all new to you?

Check your pedal free play. Push down on the clutch pedal with your thump. You should have about 1/16" (a few mm) of travel before you feel any resistance. If not the master piston cannot return to it's rest position and fluid pushed into the slave can't all get back into the master reservoir. More and more goes into the slave until it pops.

None on a 280z/zx 5 speed. Only the stock 510 and 521 had an adjustable pushrod. Well unless you have the old stock push rod and clutch arm with the hole in it. The 510 clutch lever clearance is normally 2mm roughly 1/16"

Slave piston travel is 1.18"

None on a 280z/zx 5 speed. Only the stock 510 and 521 had an adjustable pushrod. Well unless you have the old stock push rod and clutch arm with the hole in it. The 510 clutch lever clearance is normally 2mm roughly 1/16"

Slave piston travel is 1.18"

Yes it came with the adjustable pushrod. And fork, but I can't get any play?? If I move the rod it to the cylinder all the way down there still no play?