New Direction

Abnrml1

I know that I am being a PITA but I think I have decided what to do with my 720. I was going to rebuild the z22 and then I thought about doing a body swap onto my '78 GMC K15. I am missing a lot of the pieces for the z22 and there is no place close to find Nissan parts. I have a 231 v6 out of an old Oldsmobile. I already have 0.30 over pistons and an Edelbrock intake for the 231. Rebuild price should be close to what the 22 would be.

My only concern is the oil pan clearing the front diff. I have a 3 inch body lift that I am going to put on the truck so that the 31x10.5s will fit. Is it possible to raise the engine enough to clear the diff without modifying the pan? 

I think I am going to get everything set up before the rebuild and then sell the K15 to offset the costs of the rebuild and get a transmission. The 31s go on this weekend so I'll get some picks up.

Thanks again for all of the help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAS would be great if I had the money to do it and could find the parts. We have 1 salvage yard here and I don't think there is another for at least 40 miles. I found a Waggy d44 but he want $300 for it and I had to dig it out of the dirt and take it out of the Wagoneer.

Even if I could find the axles I would still have to get new gears and everything else involved. With just putting the v6 in with the IRS I am saving a whole lot of money. With the body lift I may not have to modify the pan. The work I don't mind but spending money that I don't have is something else.

If I was trying to build something for extreme trails I would go SAS but I just need a nice DD that will get me to some good camping spots.

Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate the help.