Battery Voltage drops when leads attached

2tonebb6

Hey guys I've just acquired a 260z as project car and the cars wiring seems to be all over the place from the last owner. The car was never running when i got it so I don't know if everything is where its supposed to be but when I connected a new battery to both cable leads my multimeter reads 0 volts. When I take off either one of the leads it reads at 12 volts again. Both the ground cable and power cable have continuity from the battery to there mounting points. I feel like there is something simple that I'm overlooking, any help would be appreciated

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where EXACTLY are you measuring the voltage?  

If the battery is good, and the wiring is so bad that it could drop a good batterie's voltage at the battery terminal down to zero, that would be a dead short across the battery terminals.  You would see huge scary sparks, and probably start a fire in the wires, and possibly blow up the battery.

My first guess, the battery is bad.  Second guess the cables are bad, and just look good.

Check the voltage on the battery in the center of the posts coming out of the battery.  Not on the cable terminal attached to the battery.