82 720 Diesel won't turn off with key

BlackCasio

I recently bought an 82 720 Diesel and up until yesterday the truck worked fine. When I tried to shut it off with the key, all of the electronics powered off, but the truck kept running. I tried a few more times then gave up and let the clutch out with the brake on... Anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? 
The truck came with proof of very good maintenance and it has no other running issues, only electrical issue is right brake light doesn't work. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in Oregon are you?

Sounds like the injection pump(IP) controller below the IP is acting up, it's hard to describe all the electrical crap they used to make this system work, but what I would do is check all the electrical connections to the DPC module, IP controller, and check your fusible links/fuses.

I live in Vancouver WA, across the river from Portland, if you are close you could come over and I could check it out, I have been playing with these engines for a few years now.

Did you change the injection pump timing?

Had very similar issue, could't off or on many times.

Check this thread to see how I solved with help provided at that thread.

Welcome  B)

Perhaps you could start a thread in the 720 section about your 1986 720 4X4 crew cab diesel, we did not get 4X4 diesels over here, we did not get the crew cabs either, a few photos of it would be nice also.

We got his issue fixed, it starts and shuts down fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome  B)

Perhaps you could start a thread in the 720 section about your 1986 720 4X4 crew cab diesel, we did not get 4X4 diesels over here, we did not get the crew cabs either, a few photos of it would be nice also.

We got his issue fixed, it starts and shuts down fine now.

A thread might be too much. Here are two shots from last weekend. 

IMG_6186_zpsedeeac74.jpg

IMG_6234_zps38bcad91.jpg