Possible a/c idea for 521 w/L20

What's up?, So this is a cheap idea for an a/c for a datto 521 with a L20. I may be way off, and could not find a whole bunch of info on doing it so here goes.

1. Source parts from junk yard: Condensor, a bunch of random a/c pipe, and all the other little bits and pieces.

2. this evaporator I found on the Bay for 50 bones.

$T2eC16FHJHQE9nzEyGpnBRScglrBpg~~60_12.J

3. I think this compressor will fit, I found it on ebay too for $50

$T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qTBQBRJR+iBNQ!~~60_12.J

I think it will fit???????? I've been researching and it all seem to tell me this one, it from a 80-81 200sx. Also kinda looks like the one in this pic

$(KGrHqF,!lkE6BvYm)TMBOtMNzshrQ~~60_12.J

4. the bracket to hold it in place may have to be fabricated, but judging by the pic above it looks pretty straight forward :hmm:

5. well that kinda about as far as I've got.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really don't anthing from the yard I can think of except possibly some brackets and pulleys, maybe a condensor.

- get 3 new hoses made (maybe $70)

- don't forget your filter / dryer with pressure switch. I use trinary switches on anything with electric fan.

- the compressor shown on the motor is a Sanden 508, the most universal compressor out there. The one you pictured looks like an old York.

- You'll need to solve idle up for load but that can be done with vacuum.

Do it, show progress. I have similiar goals but my install will be slightly different than standard.

You really don't anthing from the yard I can think of except possibly some brackets and pulleys, maybe a condensor.

- get 3 new hoses made (maybe $70)

- don't forget your filter / dryer with pressure switch. I use trinary switches on anything with electric fan.

- the compressor shown on the motor is a Sanden 508, the most universal compressor out there. The one you pictured looks like an old York.

- You'll need to solve idle up for load but that can be done with vacuum.

Do it, show progress. I have similiar goals but my install will be slightly different than standard.

Can you clarify what you mean here: - You'll need to solve idle up for load but that can be done with vacuum.

Are you talking about increasing the idle speed when the compressor kicks in?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you clarify what you mean here: - You'll need to solve idle up for load but that can be done with vacuum.

Are you talking about increasing the idle speed when the compressor kicks in?

You got it. When the compressor starts, you motor will have an introduced load that will drag the motor to a lower RPM. You can solve this by vacuum and solenoids. Search for Toyota A/C VSV. It will give you some ideas on how to solve.

Toyota uses a solenoid valve and a mechanical idle adjustment that only works when the A/C is on. When the A/C is off, the system is bypassed.