Removing rusty hood hinges without taking quarter panels off?

josh817

Curious about the procedure of removing hood hinges. When I did my build two years ago I was hitting rock bottom. So far I have pretty much redone everything that I had skimped on. Now it's time for the hood. My hinges were rusted solid so I had to cut them to get the hood off. I drilled a hole in each corner of the hood, used some threaded rod, drilled a hole in the threaded rod, bought pins..... adjustable hood pins.

That's getting fucking annoying now every time I want to take a quick look under the hood, having to take the entire thing off. Great for heavy duty work with all that open space but otherwise a pain. I'm wanting to know if anyone has pictures showing the assembly of the hinges, and if I can get them out without taking the quarter panels off. I tried once before but I couldn't get in there...

Anyone have some cheap hinges? B)

Thank you kind sirs!

A0np3W5.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was browsing through the parts catalog: http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat//data/Datsun_Pick-Up_USA_&_Canada_Parts_Catalog_Model_520_521_Series.pdf

and on page 655 shows the hinges. Nissan website says its $10 per hinge which I find rather amazing... I never ordered from Nissan before, figured they don't have competitive prices. Only problems I can see are getting the old hinges out without taking quarter panels off, making sure I get the later hinges and not the pre Oct '66 (page 654) though I don't know if there is a difference (doesn't show up in the PN), and on page 655 #47/48 shows as an assembly bracket which I don't even recall seeing.

Thanks guys! Exactly what I needed to see. I bet I'm going to have to pull my fuse box to get to mine... That sucks. Looks like that tab is on the inside of the hinge assembly so taking off a fender wouldn't even help! What a pain!

And thanks, everyone makes fun of the threaded rod. Lets get real, if I sanded the threads down, they would be exactly the same as standard pins. The clips aren't hard to take out, I have safety wire loops on them for pull strings. Its getting them back in, some can be hard. They hurt your finger and if you slip it can go under your finger nail. :sick:

Someone gave me two actual pins that I can use on the front corners (not messing with hood cables), if I can get some hinges I'll be set! Broom stick hood holder if it doesn't stay up on its own. My fathers shop has many factory standard tool broomsticks props..... some for hoods, some for trunk lids, some for fuel cell gauges, some for throwing when you get mad. It's like we actually.... planned it that way?!?!