My 280z... Is unhappy.

Cyph34r

A couple of months ago I momentarily lost my mind and decided that I ABSOLUTELY RIGHT NOW had to have an S30. I browsed craigslist for a couple of days, then started going around looking at cheap S30s, knowing that I'd probably be putting a fair amount of work in before it would be DDable. I settled on a '76 that had a 5 speed (and a spare 4 speed) and a spare engine, along with varied bins of other parts. When I purchased the car I was made aware of a rich condition that had fouled the plugs (the previous owner suspected the AFM), and the fact that a differential mount of some kind wasn't "good" anymore.

JC6bgN6.jpg

(Pictured: Minutes after I got home a friend decided he wanted to sit in the driver's seat.)

Once I got it home, I cleaned all the electrical contacts and checked all of the fuel injection system components according to the FSM (and determined that the AFM, coolant temp sensor, and a couple of injectors were bad). On a full check of the various other systems I suspected were bad, I discovered that the master brake cylinder was in dire need of work, and the brake booster was just completely done. Over the past 2 months I've repaired numerous varied "little" problems, as well as those listed above, and upon going to do the valve timing before taking it for a test drive, i discovered that my camshaft is damaged.

It has two spots of serious cancer-rust that I've found so far, both in the passenger floor pan, and both still small, as well as lots of little bits of surface rust. I'm hoping i can get it all dealt with before any of it spreads too far.

I know I'll get a bunch of "search the forums" and other such suggestions (such is the way of the internet), but does anyone have any suggestions of any other problems I should look out for during my testing of the car, specific noises to listen for, things like that?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like your on the right track so far. After doing what you have done or plan to do I would go more in dept into the EFI system. Google referbing the AFM and honestly I would test every other sensor and replace any not on par. Other then that and making sure the car is mechanically/structurally sound just drive and enjoy.