My 79 620 Project story

cardkey98

This project begins in a pasture on the back 80 (Acres) of a farmers field in the middle of nowhere. I was helping my father in law pick up a large propane tank he found on craigslist. When we got the house we talk to the farmer and was told that the tank was on the back side of his land. So we headed out to get the tank. After 15 mins of driving through old farm implements and old tires we came to the propane tank. We loaded it up and was getting ready to leave. Upon leaving i noticed a something red over between a old shed and an old tractor. Being someone who gets nosy when surrounded by acres of so called junk i had to check it out. it was a Datsun pickup. Being born in the mid 80's I haven't really seen many Datsun vehicles other than a couple of cars. I looked over the truck and opened the door and OH SHIT there stood two of the biggest scorpions i ever seen crawling in the door jam. After smashing them and looking over it for a few mins we headed back to the farmers house to BS before we left. On our way out i ask about the truck and was told that he parked the truck there in 2000 and its been sitting there ever since and when he parked it that it was burning oil like mad and he would be grateful if i just took the truck off his property. I got excited so i flew home threw the propane tank off and hooked up the trailer got the truck and brought it to its new home. I put a battery in the truck and sprayed some carb cleaner in it and also on a black widow that took up residence by the carburetor. Got inside the truck and gave it a crank and Vroom it breathed life once more. Got the truck running but it smoked real bad. So i decide to rebuild the motor, That is where i am currently at.

062813_195701_zps104005bb.jpg

062813_195900_zps11f68004.jpg

062813_195900_zps11f68004.jpg

062813_195700_zps1b13bdb6.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking truck. keep the stock wheels, caps and trim rings. Love the look when stock, also like the lowered look, but not on mine.

Please tell me you got the title from the guy and not just taken the truck.

Looks like rattle can paint, you do that or the PO?

Have any interior pics?

When you were tearing down the engine, did you find the cause of the oil burning?

Got the title, I not using those rims i just needed something to put on because the tires.  It has 3 buick hubcaps and 1 pontiac. I wish i had the originals. The paint is like a latex based paint i think (done by PO). I will paint it but i got hrs of body works first. I don't have any interior pics but will get some soon. As for the oil consumption. I pulled the head off and and oil was coming through the valve seals

Too bad you just didn't stop right there at the valve seals. Could have been driving it right now. I have learned through three engine tear downs, valve seals first, leave bottom end alone.

Good luck with the truck, keep us up to date.

Yeah, The bottom half looked really clean but until i took it apart i didn't know also the truck sat for 10yrs. I intend to keep it and possible make it my DD. So a complete overhaul was in order.