620 radiator plans (from koyo)

Dawa

here is an email i just sent koyo.

"I have a '73 datsun 620 and I'd really like to replace the stock radiator with one made by koyo. Currently, the only replacement radiator are low quality, offshore radiators. I know that you guys have a S30 and 510 radiator.

My question is: do you have a 620 radiator in the works? what would you require from the datsun/620 community to make this happen? we could provide measurements and photos if needed. i could even drive my truck up to Irvine or wherever at my own expense in order for you guys to get your own measurements, test fits, etc.
Would you require an initial minimum order to make it worth your while.
pretty much I believe the consensus is that we just want a quality replacement radiator.
the majority of us just want something reliable and backed by a good company to replace the old, 40+ year old radiator.

for a start, here are the dimensions for a 510 and 620 radiator provided by my '73 datsun 620 factory service manual:
          Height  width    thickness
510    11in       19.2"   1.50"
620    13in       17.6"   1.26"
as you can see and may already have known, one is wider and shorter while the other is not as wide but taller.
now as the years went by, Datsun used 3 different motors in the 620. a 1.6, a 1.8, and a 2.0
along with the change in motor size, they also changed the radiator sizing and radiator core support. I am specifically trying to work towards a radiator that would directly fit into a 73 620.
i can provide you with the dimensions, etc of the other year 620 radiators but right now my specific goal is to get one for the 73 in the works."

here is their response, which was very timely (within a few hours)

"Regarding the Datsun 620, first, thank you for doing all the research below.  Unfortunately at this time we do not have a 620 radiator in the pipeline.  Since a few engines and radiator configurations were offered over those years, and owners of these trucks are now running swaps, we simply cannot accommodate them all.   I can tell you that one customer showed interest in fitting our 510 radiator in his 620.   I do not know what year 620 he had, or was able to confirm this myself with my own eyes, but he explained that it did not require much work at all.   He told us the passenger side mounts on our 501 radiator will bolt right up to the 620 chassis, but the radiator was about 7/8” too wide for the driver’s side mount.   He preferred it centered, so he was able to quickly fabricate brackets on both sides to center the radiator.  You noted the 620 radiator is actually 2” taller; since he used our 510 radiator he did not experience any hood clearance issues.  He ran an electric fan custom mounted to the 510 fan shroud mount provisions on the radiator.

Racing Department
Koyo Cooling Systems, Inc.
15 Doppler
Irvine, CA 92618
info@koyoradracing.com"

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now when you say this, are you speaking from experience or just echoing what the add says?