rear main seal replacement

PineClone

Quick question: At work here and don't have my shop manual in front of me and want to order some parts today....

I have my tranny out right now and was wondering if it would be a good time to replace the rear crankshaft seal. I have a small oil leak somewhere, and collects below the rear main seal. It may be coming from here or may not. 

My question: How hard is this job? Seems like it should be easy but thought i'd ask. If its easy then i should just do it. It its a bugger, i will do some more research to see where the oil is coming from.

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its actually pretty easy. Use two sheet metal screws, and screw them into the old crank seal, pull on them to slide it out. Be careful when screwing the screws into the seal, you don't want to push it forward out of reach or inside....

Once you get it out, grab your replacement seal.  Use a good amount of napa or equivelent brand of Sil-Glyde on the inside of the seal, where it goes onto the crank.  Take your time, and tap it into place with either a flat piece of wood or a socket that matches the size of it.. Take your time!! Tap it into place, and done.

• Like 1

Its actually pretty easy. Use two sheet metal screws, and screw them into the old crank seal, pull on them to slide it out. Be careful when screwing the screws into the seal, you don't want to push it forward out of reach or inside....

Once you get it out, grab your replacement seal.  Use a good amount of napa or equivelent brand of Sil-Glyde on the inside of the seal, where it goes onto the crank.  Take your time, and tap it into place with either a flat piece of wood or a socket that matches the size of it.. Take your time!! Tap it into place, and done.

Well that sounds like a piece of cake. Thanks!