Alternator issues

Tc387

Hey guys new to the forums and just bought my first 720 about a week ago.

Ive wanted one of these trucks for a few years and wasnt able to find any up north, but bought one as soon as I could after moving to Virginia.

85 720 z24 2wd

My issue here is being a bit too excited about the purchase, I payed the man and drove off without checking as much as I should have, go me. I had about an hour and a half drive through unknown back roads at night. I realize the lights are very dim, and need to rely on the person who drove me to provide lighting of the road. I make a pit stop after about a half hour to get gas(thank god it wasn't any farther the guy gave it to me on E) throw in some petrol and no crank, just the horrible starter clicking. So thankfully i get my hands on jumpers and im on my way. After about an hour i finally reach the driveway and no sooner does the truck lose all power and stall out. So as soon as ican i pull alternator and battery to test, and my meter is dead, so its off to auto-zone to get a half a$$ed inspection of vital components. Both pass inspection, batt is charged. Reinstalling both I find the alternator squeals like a stuck pig. I readjust the alternator and forget to plug everything back in, but it runs fine, no noise. I plug it back in belt only moves about a half inch with effort. Start the truck and its squealing again and spits and sputters and dies unless I stay on the throttle.

so with power to alt, squeals and wont idle.

With no power theres no noise and runs fine.

I can smell burnt rubber with something else I'm not sure of.

Im not sure if the alt is bad and creating this horrid sound, but it doesn't make alot of sense to me. Also I found random black wire that had been severed, attached to the power terminal on the back of the alternator, but nothing was anywhere near it that it could have been attached to and it was rusted so i figured it has been hangin around for a while. Sorry for the super long post, any help would be greatly appreciated as i sort of sold my daily to get this...lol

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made sure it was a little tighter than it was before, and its very close to the same tightness as the rest. Only moves about a half inch with effort. The batt light does come on in the on position, and has not come on while running. The fact that no adjustments in tension were made between it running not connected making no noise, then connecting the plug and two wires and it starts squealing has put me at a road block.

With a fully charged battery the alternator does very little work. When trying to charge a battery the alternator has to work hard to make electricity from turning motion. Thus the motor has to work harder too to turn it. The squeal could be a loose, glazed or damaged belt or the bearing in the alternator is bad.

I realized a wire was broken on the back of the alternator, so I picked up a new one and threw it on. Also found a few vacuum lines were pulled off. After idling for about 20 minutes and a 15 mile trip it idles much better, just wish i had a tach to check where its idling. Atleat i can get it to the shop and get it inspected. Thanks for the help.