620 brake drums

Steroid

Well, after sandblasting and painting a set of drums (the ones with the most "meat" left on them) the other day, I placed them on the rear today of Choptana. They don't seem to set just right. Then trying to remove them I noticed that the telltail threaded removal holes are not there. Bummer! So these must have been front drums. Now My question: are the front and rear drums EXACTLY the same? If so I plan to drill and tap the removal holes but if that is going to be a waste of time, I'll just get a rear set and sandblast them to install. The distance on ALL to give maximum "meat" was 10.058 indicated on all My hubs. But I didn't notice the holes not there. If they are front drums, as I suspect, will they work on the rear? Thanks ahead of time.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, as far as I know the drums are all the same...I replaced all 4 on Ol Yeller when I was buildin him coupla years back...they came w/out the holes...all ya gotta do is lay em out and drill and tap..no big deal...in fact, I drilled mine 1/4-20 cause that was more common than metric...easier to find a coupla 1/4 20 bolts than 10 x 1.50 or something...go fer it...

Mike, as far as I know the drums are all the same...I replaced all 4 on Ol Yeller when I was buildin him coupla years back...they came w/out the holes...all ya gotta do is lay em out and drill and tap..no big deal...in fact, I drilled mine 1/4-20 cause that was more common than metric...easier to find a coupla 1/4 20 bolts than 10 x 1.50 or something...go fer it...

same here, I had a set of fronts on the rear of my 73, all I did was drill and tap them myself

The front and rear drums are listed as the same part number in my raybestos book.

You might consider just buying two new drums. They are rather inexpensive if i remember correctly. Hardly worth the effort of sandblasting old ones.

I have used front drums on the rear before. Truck needed one front drum and one rear drum. I put two new on the fron and the one good front onto the rear. Ive done this to several 620's.

A little antisieze around the center hole of the drum, and you wont need the threaded holes next time.

Jason