New here, new truck to me...

db2u

I recently bought a cool yellow 84 KC 720 4x4 5spd.   Have some issues/thoughts and was wondering if this is normal, since I have never owned a truck.

139k miles.

1)   I have what sounds like valvetrain noise.  I adjusted the valves (they were a bit tighter then they should have been) but it made no difference in the noise.  The top end looked VERY clean, no carbon, almost no browning of the internals from oil.... Timing chain looks sparkling and pretty lol.    I dont think its the tensioner for the chain, as  I had to throw a crappy fram oil filter on it, and on cold start it does clatter "differently" until the oil light goes off. It really does just have a tick tick tick... any idea what this is?  I didnt see any obvious damage, nothing seemed really loose under the valve cover...

2)  all gears except 4th are somewhat noisy, but it shifts perfectly fine.  Not sure how much noise is normal.  Trans oil change showed lots of sparkly paste on the magnetic plug mixed with maybe 3 or 4 tiny chunks (they were small enough that as I tried to wipe them off in a paper towel I lost them on the ground and couldnt locate them.  

3)  5th gear is absolutely useless in this truck.   I am at high altitude so I know I have a bit less power, but man unless I am going 70+ on a flat road it seems like it cant hold its own speed.  I seem to have to use less throttle at 4th gear and really am only going a bit over 3k rpm,  5th drops that engine speed so low I cant seem to get enough power to use it a whole lot, is this normal?     1st 2nd 3rd seem fairly peppy, 4th is sluggish, 5th is hard to even utilize.  What size tires do these things have stock?

4) Get a low rumbling hum hum hum hum at 65+   I feel it more through the transfer case selector than the steering wheel, pedals, trans shifter etc..   Is this U joint issues, or do I just need to change my t-case oil?

5)  Front lower control arm mount on the frame seems to be wallowed out a bit.  I pretty much have to find someone who can weld a washer on there for me to fix that right?

I did pass Denver emissions with flying colors, and the carb that everyone seems to hate seems to function perfectly, no bogging, no sputtering, no hesitation, no fuel smells, starts fine when cold, etc.   

Any tips on any of this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh on number 4... if I depress the clutch the humming is still there, but seems to be just slightly more pronounced when I am "trying" to accelerate (trying is most appropriate   in this case lol)

As for the valve train noise, I would get a stethoscope and try to pinpoint where it's coming from. How is your oil pressure?

pretty much halfway in middle of the gague, I think 45psi if I remember right and if the gague is accurate.