1981 280zx nonturbo rebuild

Hey everyone,

I am starting in on my long awaited rebuild of my 1981 280zx.

I boutght this car just under two years ago with some major leaks and a really bad transmission. I have a trans ready to rebuild and all the goodies I need to go through the engine but logic would tell me that I should replace all the rubber and silicone lines under the hood while I am down there tearing out the head for port polish and resurfacing.

The zx burns or leaks a whole quart every 400 miles or every couple months depending on use. I drive it almost every day but not too far. The longest trip I have taken her on since purchase is 150 miles round trip from my home to sacramento and back.

I need a little advice and some technical information before I go all out and take the head off and replace the trans and exhaust etc.

I was wondering if any one had a complete or knows of a complete vacuum diagram? I really need this and would appreciate any help. If any one knows the sizes of the hoses needed that would be awesome too. There are so many little lines I just don't know the different sizes needed. This car has had at least 4 owners before me and all of them did different things to the car trying to make it faster repair it and so on... getting her back to like new, stock working order before I start upgrades is my goal.

Some other concerns and areas I need advice are: Fuel injectors, I have one leaky one should I replace all six or rebuild all six or just replace / rebuild the one that needs it?

Any way I will be one here through out the process posting pics victories and failures alike. Thanks for any and all help given.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well once you're able to throw up some pics I'm sure we can help ya :)

Factory Service Manuals (280zx) = http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

Before tearing anything down I'd do (2) things.

Compression test and Fuel Pressure test.

If the thing is running fat that could pose to be an issue as well with consumption + an oil leak.

I just got done replacing the majority of my vacuum lines (not willing to go under the dashboard yet from the switch canisters).

I would strongly advise to buy quite a bit of the smallest vacuum line (if you have Cruise Control and A/C that is..) as you'll use quite a bit more than you would think.

It is worth the time to take a tape measurer out and measure at least the longer hose line stuff ,,,

I would take the tape measurer to the store with you as ocassionally they short ya...

Here is my thread on the car so far...including injector cleaning and vacuum line replacements - http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55078-dtps-black-81zxt-almost-ready-i-think/

Yeah... I to understand that all (6) injectors should be replaced in sets , but I opted to replace (2) of mine at the time (rusted/broken prong connectors). I did however make sure to clean ALL of them as thorough as I could from home... :lol: ;)

Make sure to clean ALL the injector connections on the injector side , and I would STRONGLY advise to replace the injector connectors across the board if at all questionable or the factory ones still remain on yours.

They are Bosch EV-1 style. Very common thankfully !

Replace the CHTS connector at the same time while you're at that.

Grab your camera .. take pictures of all the questionable vacuum line areas ... then cut 2-3 inch samples from each size needed ,,,, tape them to an index card with a label or vacuum , fuel or coolant line ,,,, walk into NAPA and have them help ya. You could also go to Nissan I'm sure. O'reily's never really replenishes their stock often.. (the one close to me) Carquest is "fine" typically and my local Knecht's never has enough stock to begin with. NAPA is the place.

I'd recommend replacing breather hoses to valve cover , checking your AFM intake boot behind the AFM for leaks/cracks as well (sometimes hard to see) I've used liquid electrical tape on this before to temp seal and it worked lol. Another guy recommended "shoe glue" from Big 5 ? I believe. I haven't tried that , but will one of these days.

Looking forward to updates :thumbup:

More to come after I start tear down on the head. I talked to a few guys and decided to pull the whole motor as a unit then take the head off and do a few additional things I had not originally planned. I am going to check out the bottom end and get a few other things in order before I do that. Going to get a ring set and a hone for my drill and pretty much rebuild the engine if need be. Thanks for alll the amazing advice.