Will 15x6's provide enough grip?

So I'm building a 2 door Datsun 510.  I will drive it around town, autocross it, and occasionally go to a track day.  I'm trying to decide on wheels and tires.  I'm not going to flare the car.  The original fenders are just in too good of shape to chop up.

I've been led to believe that with coilovers and camber plates a 15x7+18 will either rub in an autocross, or stick out of the fender the rest of the time.  Not sure if it's true or not, but seems plausible, and it's not something I want.

So my question is if I go with a 15x6 +3 offset and 195/50 Dunlop Direzza ZIIs will I have enough grip in the corners?  The car won't have a cage, so it won't be crazy rigid.  And I'm thinking of getting a Rebello 2.2 for the motor, so it will have around 200hp at the crank. Anything else to worry about with this setup?

Another option is I've found a 15x6.5 wheel that's +14.5 offset.  Would that be a good enough compromise that I could fit 205/50's?

I know wheel questions are asked by noob's regularly, and I've read a ton that's out there.  But I thought I'd ask anyways to see if I could get insight that I have yet to find.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for what would fit under stock fenders as my car is flared, but a 15x6 +3 will stick out 2mm more than a 15x7 +18. With the same 195/50s, you're looking at nearly the same position of the tire relative to the outer fender with either wheel. With the 15x6.5 +14.5, it's inset from the fender 2.5mm more than the 15x7, but if you go with the 205/50, you have another 5mm of tire towards the fender, putting you at about the same position as the 15x6 +3.

So you're pretty much have the same chance of rubbing for all three of those options.

That's the most helpful response I think I could of had.  Thank you.

So what I take from that is if I go with a 15x6 or 15x6.5 I should probably get a larger offset, and if I have to I can use a spacer to move it further out? I assume a spacer would require longer studs?

If anyone has suggestions about the 15x7's and whether they can fit I'd appreciate it.

dude fuck a 195, thats some stock shit. 

AT LEAST go 215. it wont be that much of a difference fitment wise, but you will definitely feel the improvement

in handling, and braking. 

In the rear a 15x7 +22 will fit and clear the fender. Up front with stock 510 w coilovers I think would be the same. If using 280zx struts, I know the +22 would need a spacer. Troy Ermish could give better specifics, or indy510, I forget his name but he has a thread here and auto crosses a 4 door 510 with stock fenders.

Thanks. I assume a +25 would then work as well, but would just require a larger spacer and possibly spacers up front and in the rear?

Mainly up front, for the rear only if you want to push the wheel out closer t0 the outer lip. +25 in the rear will clear the step in the body when lowered and "correct" camber.