Ballast resistor issue?

The car hasn't started for about 10 years.

So recently, with what free time I had, I replaced the battery, new plugs, drained and replaced fuel and filter, new oil and filter.

Today I turned the motor over and tried to build up oil pressure, the engine was cranking just fine, just waiting for fuel to get to the carb. Dashboard lights

turned on fine and it was cranking. A few cranks later, stupid me turns off the motor and takes a look at the motor. For some stupid reason I notice that theres only one

wire connected to the resistor over the coil.

Like so:

8742507115_65e9afaf39_z.jpg

So stupid me looks for a wire nearby just hanging and I find one and try connecting it to the other prong. (A small spark occurs)

THIS WIRE Like so:

8742505255_9b299a13ef_z.jpg

Then I go back into the car and turn the ignition. Nothing. Nothing happens, dash doesn't turn on, no starter noise. Nothing.

So I turn off the motor and disconnect the wire I attached and  nothing happens. 

The only reason I know the battery isn't dead is because Its brand new as of today, it cranked the motor a few minutes before, and the coil gets warm for some reason. 

Any ideas?

8743621566_17dd288f71_c.jpg

As it is right now.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you have a point distributor? If yes then you need the ballast. If you have a elelctronic dizzy then you might not need it.

you take the center coil wire place near ground and see if it sparks???

take more photos of the dizzy and inside the dizzy.

you only need to or 3 wires for a 510 to run.

Blk/ whte wirew goes to the ballast then a blk grn comes out of ballast .

the blk/ Blu is START wire that shoul go to the + side coil. the blk/grn and blk blu is really shorted together under the tape.

to ck for voltage put key to ON the blk wht wire should have 12volts.

key in START the blk blu should have 12volts(remove starter wire so Starter dont crank)

if you dont get those volatges ck the fuse box/clean or wiggle in back under key switch moght be corrossion since this hasnt started in awhile.

thjis is a simple fix