L20 rebuild options

RAT510

hi all new to the forum and im hooked. been doing alot of searching on the forums for the past few weeks and im keen to build a worked engine for my 510. it will be driven on weekends mostly and i would like it to be reasonibly quick. i plan to lower it a few inches and run 15" wheels due to tyres i have laying around.  i have mangaed to track down a pair of 44mm mikunis and a twin carb lynx manifold which i want to put in the mix also.

im yet to pull the engine down but im told it was a runner some time ago. when i bought it, it was missing the inlet manifold and carby/carbies, plus a starter motor. im told it is a bluebird engine im guessing a s1 or s2 910? At this stage all i can say for sure is it is a L20 and has a head marked a87. regardless of that im after some advice or first hand experiences.

due to the fact i have it i would like to stick with the L20 block crank and the a87 head if it all cleans up and falls within spec, and no major cracks. but im toying with options for piston rod combos.

option 1 rebuild as a std L20 motor, including std L20 cam. throw on the 44mm mikunis jetted to suit this motor. upgrade to an electronic black box dizzy. exhaust manifold will be std and be followed by a 2" exhaust system with sprial wound resinator and lukey triple flow rear muffler

option 2 rebuild L20 with a set of z22e pistons and z20e rods. they can be bought off ebay reasonably cheap and most likley the engine wil need these serviced or replaced anyhow. this should increase the capacity to around 2045cc. from what i have read this makes a very nice reving big bore L20. i would then need to consider a differnet cam maybe to reap the benefits? would stil run 44mm mikunis, elec dizzy and 2" exhaust etc.

has anyone had first hand experinece with a 2.1 hybrid motor? are they really as good as google says? basically is it worth messing with the l20?

to get more capacity again i could then bore the L20 3mm over to make it 2092cc with the hybrid pistons and rods, however this doesnt seem like a great idea to me as it would have to affect reliablity? if the above L20 block is no good i would consider a z22 block with 88mm pistons. im fairly new to modifying l series stuff i was hoping for some feedback

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

based on a lot of info thats popped up lately i am going to go the z22 bored/stroked to 2.3 route.

i already have a freshly rebuilt l20 .030 project that im going to abandon in favor for a z22. 

in the meantime though you might as well get her running, shouldnt take a rebuild to do that

have you found ozdat.com yet?

i like this tool: http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

if the above L20 block is no good i would consider a z22 block with 88mm pistons.

IF the L20 block is good, a Z22 crank & L20 rods work.

the L20 crank is counter balanced.

i used a Z22 block because i couldn't find a good L20 block.

88.5mm bore to make full use of the Nismo head gasket. ~2.222L

Hello mate.

As a fellow Aussie, I feel duty bound to help :)

There's a fuckload of info on the Internet including here on Ratsun (the search button is your friend and will stop you getting flamed).

Try a google search for "Datsun frankenmotor".

Here is one of the many links for L series builds.

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/swaps/510/510swaps.htm

Also, post some pictures or a build thread. The folks who inhabit this site have a massive hardon for pictures.

There's also some good stuff on Ozdat, you just need to sort through the BS posted by the 17 year old fucktards.

thanks guys. i have found all the links that you have posted up in the last few weeks, thats where i got most if not all my info from. i have signed up with ozdat also but most of my googling brought me back to ratsun, so here i am. i know there are a tonne of combinations for L and Z motors but dont want it to get too out of hand. ive done this type of thing before with other makes. one thing leads to another and before you know it your build a motor you never knew existed and purchased 2-3 cars to make it happen, not to mention the money thing. 

i guess im leaning towards tidying up the L20 but its very tempting to make it into a 2.1 long rod. is anyone running a 2.1 long rod engine that has first hand experience and feedback? ratwagon i know what you mean about ozdat thats how im here. not knocking it though, as its been very helpfull as you mentioned you just need to look past the crap. the helix design utility is great.