My 78 2+2 (again?)

Korvus

It's been quite some time since I've visited, and have only posted when I needed questions answered. (Could have sworn I posted the typical "Hi, my name is -blank-, this is my 19-blank- Datsun -blank-" threads for both a 620 and this car, but couldn't find them to edit/add the progress I've made...So I figured now would be a decent time to show you the journey my Luxobarge has traveled.

As a warning: I have done things that might make some, if not most, of you shake your head. Some 'stupid-kid' modifications. Don't worry, no Fast N' Furious wings and phat kitz, but still.

This is what she looked like the day I bought her:

gH6Zsjn.jpg

Next to "Barney" the '78 620. My mom named it and then bought it from me, and has since restored it from my boy-racer bullshit. Ever shove a cheapo pseudo-racing seat into a standard cab 620? I barely fit into it and I was ~5'6" at the time. Anyone larger got to choose between breathing and steering.
1ZmtE7v.jpg

This little blessing occurred at ~50mph less than a week after I bought her. Less angry and more baffled by the way it blew and the fact it didn't send me flying off the side of the road.
nxLWOxZ.jpg

First modification: New exhaust and removal of the cat. 2.5" from manifold back and Flowmaster 40-series. The second was replacing the god-awful headgear style eyesore of a front bumper.
Fb4ald6.jpg

Third: Couldn't take the brakes anymore.
sddIeJa.jpg

Original vs. New
IfUOaAd.jpg

bc91o1a.jpg
FpLy23o.jpg

Then she got autocrossed. Body-rolled like a boat, understeered like hell.
NVQgu8X.jpg

Here she is next to my buddy's FC RX-7. He gave me shit regularly for "monster truckin'," and then, later when he lowered his car to what you see in this picture I got promoted to "Space Truckin',"
xFtGAXl.jpg
SOeM5yO.jpg

His constant berating and my autocross experience led to this:
K-Sport Kontrol Pros
IMDq1Xt.jpg

MnPpSqD.jpg

4GDlvFG.jpg

Size difference and my inability to hold a camera steady.

5iEAsxa.jpg

roHqMZn.jpg

Spindle-pins! My own personal Satan! Conveniently sitting right at the rear of my car! Hooray! I replaced them with Grade-8 bolts, spare the next poor slob the trouble.

NJ3vzPn.jpg

Putting it all back together proved slightly problematic. Nothing fit back up no matter how we wrenched, railed, or torqued on it. Let all just sit for a night and the next day it went together like cake. Led me to believe this car is possessed. Keep in mind getting the coilovers in took about a month, mostly due to only being able to work on it on the weekends, but also because the rear fought me. Every. Single. Step.

IVF3zIz.jpg

Front sure looked pretty, though.

39DN9Q9.jpg

I had some spray paint left over from a previous project so I figured "why not?" They'd probably get the paint beat off 'em real quick and I just wanted to get rid of the cans I'd never use again.

Brush 'em down, clean 'em up

0MNh1U9.jpg

Primer+Metallic 'converter' AKA aerosol glitter and a real thin gray paint.

EXYp5x6.jpg

Personally, I don't think they came out bad for a half-assed rattlecan job.

IJ3LRLh.jpg
2MMe8fK.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how it sat immediately after setting it down. Lowered as far as they could go.

BGVROqj.jpg

Sat a little too "ass-dragger" for my liking.
hqdTxqG.jpg
s6slOi0.jpg

Before

YFCtaol.jpg

After + Leveled out the rear:

4OhRpDt.jpg

Took off the rear-bumper as well, will have the mounts fully removed and the body smoothed out. Also plan on doing something with the now "bee stinger" exhaust pipe. By this point some rainy days and wonderfully entertaining bad ideas resulted in a nasty thump and knock on accel/decel/shift from the general location of the differential.

ZtPCSTd.jpg

"Excuse me sir. I mustache you a question."

This is the guy with the RX-7.

He's helped me with everything from the coilovers on.

3wnbCOv.jpg

She soon found herself parked again. Awaiting more work.

ildHlxb.jpg

S1HOQYp.jpg

E88 and dual Webers, I've heard bad things I've heard good things.

1rcMPx3.jpg

MSA 6-1 header. Was less than impressed with the condition it arrived in, but aside from it's worn look it was otherwise fine.

ZEQu1RM.jpg

Powder coated all the things. Jesse at Legendary Coatings did a fantastic job.

7rTJTJs.jpg

iwaCuwA.jpg

xxtKCRi.jpg

fvOkIjI.jpg

WM5GWX3.jpg

Back underneath to replace the fuel pump and do...Other stuff.

DkuuML3.jpg

I think my rattlecan-job has held out pretty decently, considering.

y49TuWo.jpg
UWPXg2Q.jpg
kwulJSt.jpg

Again demonstrating my inability to hold still.
NX5VeEb.jpg

Well...It's apart. Might as well rattlecan some more.

sPxdibx.jpg

QHzPxdq.jpg
Qfc9YbT.jpg
NUCEczd.jpg
KFTlOHQ.jpg

Universal fuel pump.
gxLRkPN.jpg
PqWnm1u.jpg
My dumb-ass unplugged a bullet trying to strip the old wiring to splice to the pump wires. Had to pull my back seat out.
feqo8oP.jpg

Shot in the dark question to avoid trial and error: Anyone know off the top of their head what the thread pitch and diameter of those holes are?
ZP5MhY3.jpg

OKAY, here's the biggest point I expect flak. Look away if you're a purist or otherwise enraged by the "ghetto-method"

Janky diff? Welded.
I plan on drifting this car.

ryzqdFP.jpg

Yep that was me!

My 810 and another member with a 510 (71.240z@541) are the only ones I've seen rocking those here, I am getting more stickers for my 810 soon you could order them I got 2 on the parts for sell section for half price the honey mustard yellow one on my 810 and a dark blue one I gave to 71.240z@541 for his 510.  I plan on replacing it with a white one with the ratsun.net lettering on the bottom of it.

I just realized that these Z's are growing on me...

They'll do that.

Then they'll take every dollar you make.

Yep that was me!

My 810 and another member with a 510 (71.240z@541) are the only ones I've seen rocking those here, I am getting more stickers for my 810 soon you could order them I got 2 on the parts for sell section for half price the honey mustard yellow one on my 810 and a dark blue one I gave to 71.240z@541 for his 510. I plan on replacing it with a white one with the ratsun.net lettering on the bottom of it.

I'd rock a smaller white one, but with how little I visit the site I'd feel a bit like a poser.

Were trying to have Ratsun meets again this year we usually have them every Saturday at 6pm at Sonic in North Medford by olive garden but I been changing the time since its only me and 71.240z@541 last year we had great turn outs it will pick up soon I hope.  Usually me and the other member are out there Saturdays or Sundays around 1-3pm if you ever wanna come out look on the event section and look for the S. Or Ratsun meet.