Power steering help

antspa

Hello all,

Ive recently adopted my father old 1984 2.4L 720 Kingcab. It runs great and everything, exept for the powersteering. I've already replaced the pump, rasied the wheels turned lock to lock, which made it a lot better, but only for a while. The truck seems to have lost any and all powersteering, and with larger front tires than stock it has made driving ridiculously difficlut. Any suggestions as to what my next steps should be?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the pump have the reservoir mounted over on the fender This is a gravity feed to the pump so if a clamp is loose the pump may suck in air as well. This will be whipped into foam that compresses and won't build pressure.

Usually 720s have the reservoir built into the pump. Well lets try bleeding the system again.

Let sit over night so any foam settles. If reservoir is low top it up. Raise both wheels off the ground and with motor off turn lock to lock 10 times very quickly. Check level and add if needed.

Engine running should be kept to a minimum to avoid foaming. Start engine for 3-5 seconds and turn lock to lock quickly and shut off. Check fluid level and add if needed. Repeat the above at least several times until all foam and air is removed. More if foam continues to flow into the reservoir.(it will be brought to the reservoir through the return hose)

This is how I did my 620. The pump makes a smoother running sound as the air is removed. The reservoir must not run low or dry or the pump vanes will foam the fluid.

Wet means a leak. Dry means fine or you haven't found it yet.  Held at full lock (which you should never do for more than 10 seconds) the 720 pump puts out over 1,100 PSI. If there's a leak it will show. Otherwise enjoy.