Need some help and advice

JonU

Hey guys, I just need some help and advice on my brakes and bushings. As some may know I'm currently in the process of having my 240 refreshed (main concern was any rust). Well, it's getting close to time for it to go back together and after the 1st I'll have all the parts for the auto to manual swap minus the clutch and flywheel. So anyways, by the time I pick it up the car will not have been driven for 8 years. I know the shop is going to get the engine tuned and adjust the valve train so I'm not to worried about that. What I do have a concern about is the brakes. For now I'm sticking with the stock braking system and will upgrade later on down the road. In the meantime I need to get at least new pads and shoes. I was considering using the MSA Carbon Metallic brake shoes coupled with the Hawk Ferro-Carbon Brake pads. Has anyone ever used either of these? What would you guys use? My other question involves the bushings. Since the car is already in a million pieces, I figured why not replace as many bushings as I can? So I was looking around and saw that energy suspension has a Master Bushing kit for the 240. Again, has anyone used this or any of their products on the 240? Any recommendations on either item would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey JonU,

The poly-urethane bushing sets are a good way to go !

Make sure to use the lube or squeak squeak squeak haha.

Make sure to use (1) rubber and (1) poly on each TCA (Tension Control Arm) in the front.

Having both poly's allows no "give" and have cause the TCA's to SNAP (documented by a few z car owners and auto-cross enthsusiasts I believe)

Also having Poly-Urethane bushing's in the "mustache bar" will help stiffen things up sure BUT it will/can transmit a lot of road noise to the cabin as well ( mine does lol ... I don't mind it at ALL as it's part of the "experience" but a numbe of people don't prefer it haha )

I've used them once before in a first gen lightning I used to have and was pretty pleased with it overall. To be honest I'm not adverse to a bit of noise in the cabin. My 370 had the mufflers removed and replace with AAM short tails. Didn't really make a noticeable gain in power, but it did make it sound like a real sports car. I'll link the you tube video I took in a bit. Then my Lightning was catless and ran into a flowmaster muffler, my MR-2 was loud as crap as well (but it had the balls to go with the noise lol). I've always liked hearing the car do it's thing. And this one won't be any different  :)  I enjoy listening to the car more than I do the radio most of the time anyways, that's part of the reason the stock stereo is staying in the car.

Thanks for the tip on the TCA. I wonder how hard it would be to fab one out of a stronger/lighter material.... maybe a future project? I gotta save some things to do myself right?! 

So does anyone know if the master bushing kit contains everything, or will I need to buy a few items separately?