only headlights come on

hey guys. i have had this problem for a while now, the problem is that; one random day after washing my z  "77 280z" all the lights "besides the headlights" just turned off. every single light on the car works but they do not come on when they should. the reason i know they work is because they all come on when i turn my hazards on.  I am in no way good with electrics but i did the usual routine, replaced all fuses, tested electrical links and bulbs, grounds.  i cant find out what would cause this. any help would be nice, thank you.

as a note. one of my friends told me that a bulb could have gone bad, even through it shines it could be causing some other problem. 

i know very little on electrics. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake lights should still come on with the pedal...

Could be your headlight switch... or the plug for it...

Time to bust out the test light, and start seeing where you get power for the lights and where you dont.

I was having an issue on my car recently where everything shut off except my hazards, headlights, and my motor (ignition). Turned out to be one of the main wires for the fusebox (which makes sense as multiple circuits were affected)

sorry  Laecaon , i didn't mention, the brake lights do come on with the peddle and turn singles work with switch .  i will check  the switch and fuse box. one question i just passed the end of my registration so i need to go get  a safety test to re-register, do you think that flashlights for taillights  would pass. thats how i have been getting around for the last 9 months . from what i herd , as long as the lights " flashlights" shine red i would pass. 

So all lights except the parking lights work?

Sounds like a fuse (except you replaced them) or the switch has a problem (the switch should have separate wires for the parking lights and headlights). I would test the switch.

For inspection, I have no idea. I dont have the kind of inspection where I live. But I would try to fix your lights.

Ok, I looked at a wiring diagram... It would appear as if 12v power comes from the fuse box via a green with blue wire to the headlight switch. Then the headlight switch passes the 12v power through to what appears to be a green with white wire, to the parking lights.

Do you have power on the green with blue at the headlight switch? Do you have power on the green with white at the headlight switch (with the switch turned on)?

I would check that.

hey guys. i have had this problem for a while now, the problem is that; one random day after washing my z  "77 280z" all the lights "besides the headlights" just turned off. every single light on the car works but they do not come on when they should. the reason i know they work is because they all come on when i turn my hazards on.  I am in no way good with electrics but i did the usual routine, replaced all fuses, tested electrical links and bulbs, grounds.  i cant find out what would cause this. any help would be nice, thank you.

as a note. one of my friends told me that a bulb could have gone bad, even through it shines it could be causing some other problem. 

i know very little on electrics. 

There are two brightnesses of bulbs. Bright ones are for important things like brake, turn and hazards. Dimmer ones are for marker or running lights and simply there to be seen. The brighter ones are to be noticed. These can be separate bulbs or they can have a bright and a dimmer filaments in the same bulb.

The only lights that should come on with the hazard flasher are the front and rear turn signals. The bright ones. The dimmer side marker lights should not.

Brake lights only with the brake although turn and hazard should light them also. The bright ones

Dimmer side marker lights, license light and front and rear running lights only with the headlight switch in the first and second position. 

From your description, your headlight switch is not turning the running and marker lights on. This is a '77z car.... is the headlight switch on the turn signal lever? Can only be a fuse or the headlight switch.