Fan/water pump questions

Janksun

I have a 1975 620 with a L20b in it. I was driving from warrenton Oregon all the way to my place, ripon ca when in red bluff ca it started overheating, I replaced the tstat and still overheated, removed it (in case it was a bad one) still over heated. So I have a new water pump with fan clutch on it but I dont have the correct fan for that fan clutch, if I ran a water pump without a fan clutch and just 4 bolt pulley and fan on it, will it cause any problems because it is constantly spinning? I know you guys are probably going to say get a fan that will fit the fan clutch, or vice versa. I don't have a lot of money to get different parts at this time, but I do have a new waterproof without a fan clutch on it and a pulley and four bolt fan. Also may have to replace the radiator. I'm taking it to a radiator shop tomorrow to have it checked out. The cooling fins just disintegrate in your hands when you pick it up. Also the water the came out was rust colored so it needs to be boiled. And to make just the nasty water is all out of the engine, is there a way to flush just the engine? Can I just stick a hose in the tstat housing with the tstat out and start the engine and turn the water on? Or is there a different way? Thanks for you advice in advance! -John

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

The water pump without the clutch fan should be fine, the one with the clutch fan always makes the water pump turn when running also. flush it out as best you can and also flush the heater core. You will probably need to put some kind of flush/cleaner in the system to get some of the rust out of the engine after you get the radiator taken care of

There is a block drain plug to the very rear of the block just above the starter. Looks just like a bolt sticking out of the side. Probably brass. Remove and force water in the thermostat housing. I wouldn't run the motor. It will be messy. Maybe force water both directions. Wont hurt to have the heater hoses off and force water both directions with the control set to HOT until water runs clear.

Likely this motor wasn't looked after with proper coolant the the block inside is scaly and rusty. This has migrated into and plugged the rad.