Tranny conversion guidance wanted

transponder7

Hello all. I am heavily considering converting my "virgin" 1980 210 to a manual gear box and was seeking input from any and all sources. This is a longer term project, hell I don't even have a crane yet, but I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for as far as stockpiling parts and what not. Also, some words of wisdom and or success stories couldn't hurt either, I suppose. Thanks

P.s. sorry if miss categorized, I'm a noob.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If possible find a car that already has everything. Possibly w wreck in a yard or a crap one for sale cheap. This gives you everything at once and no small missing part to hold you up. This is likely cheaper in the long run than buying everything separate.

You will need the brake and clutch peddles, possibly the complete under dash housing the holds them, the linkages and springs, bushings, clips and nuts.

The clutch master cylinder and the push rod between it and the peddle. (might be a good idea to buy the  master new)

The clutch slave and the rubber flex line that connects it to the body.

A hydraulic hard line between the master and slave. (usually best to buy a pre made brake line the same length and bend it yourself.)

A 4 or 5 speed transmission and the driveshaft  if different length than the automatic driveshaft you have. Must have the shifter and dust boot, clutch arm and dust boot, push rod between slave and clutch arm, release bearing collar (buy new release bearing)

A flywheel

A pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft.

A clutch and pressure plate. (new is good but a good used one is ok too)

I was thinking of going the parts car route, mostly because I need/want a complete interior. I guess I'll be on the lookout for a 5 speed with a blown motor, or something like that. Are there any that will bolt right up to an a15 and chassis or do i have to be "creative"?