L24 powered 280zx lol

VValicente

Okay, so I know this seems counter productive but I'm getting an L24 for my 280zx. The reason being is that the L28 needs a rebuild so while it gets rebuilt I'll still be able to drive her. Also I need to go through all of my wiring because the connected to the injectors are messing up so I figure screw it I'll go through all of it.

Seeing as how the L24 is carbed I can pretty much take most of the electrical out. So what all do I need to do to drop it (the L24) in?

From my understanding I don't have to really do a damn thing besides drop it in since physically the block is the same, right?

I know I'll have to figure out getting the linkages right and the choke also

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to bypass the electronic fuel pump... No idea how that fuel tank will work with a mechanical pump.

Should be straight forward?  Since L28 drops straight into a 240 or 260z, it should be straight drop.

I hope you have a 3.90... that motor isnt going to be happy with a 3.54 diff. 

Its not that strange, after all the JDM 280zx did have an option for an L20e!!

You could even probably bolt all the EFI stuff to the L24 and it'd run pretty good...

You really don't have something to drive while the l28 is getting a rebuild ??

That's what I figured. As for the fuel pump there's a company that makes high volume low pressure pumps that puts out about 3.5 to 4 psi so its ideal. So how much do She's with intake and everything attached go for. 200 to 300 right? At least that's what I've seen. And I'm getting the complete engine for 200 so I figure why not just get the whole thing. Plus depending on the rods conditions I now have a set of l24 rods if I want to stroke the L28. Just need the crankshaft after that. Also thank you. I just wanted to make sure there's not to many unseen variables.

As for the 3.90 I'm not exactly sure. I'll have to look it up unless you guys have the knowledge on hand/in brain.

The 280zx is a 1982 nat with I believe an r180

Sorry for the paragraph haha

Mainly because this one has the twin su's. Idk why but for some reason I like carburetted engines. The sound the feel and what not. But normally at least on ebay and stuff like that the su's are 150 to 750(rebuilt) and then there's the cost of a manifold to. For 200 I got the engine along with the carbs and everything. So I figure why not drop it in while I do the harness and wait for the rebuild.

But no you are right S_F it kinda is a waste and definitally is back tracking.

Also huh I didn't know they offered an L20E for the zx. That's kinda cool

So use su's on an l28 whats the problem? 

Has anyone actually been in an l20 280zx? They are slow as all hell, like SLOW. The absolute only reason they and everyone else offered a 2.0 is because of it being in a a different ,lower, tax bracket. When nissan next offered a 2.0 in a z they had to make it a turbo lol (z31 200zr). Then it became so impractical for the z32 they dropped it.

SU's on a 280zx, great, get a l28 and bolt a set on. L24 in a 280zx is... I hate to use the term but, clown shoes. 

It probably was, and hmm I guess that would make sense for the l20. That was my plan in the end to put the su's on the L28. But my L28 needs a rebuild and the l24 engine had to come with the su's. He wouldn't part out the engine. So I figure I might as well drop it in so I can get a feel for the su's and tuning them while the L28s being rebuilt.

Plus I would have to do everything the same to make the L28 carbed anyways so yea. But no I agree on the term haha it is clown shoes but it'll do until I either finish the L28 or get it back. Haven't decided on doing it myself or paying someone to do it yet.

Out here in Omaha there isn't to much for datsun machine shops that I know of. Also as for re doing the harness since su's don't exactly like to be blown through I'm guessing efi is the way to go for turbo/supercharging.

Can someone move this to the datto build thread. I figure I'll go through the build since I'm doing it anyways. As pointless as it is lol. Also I haven't seen any write ups on how to convert a 280zx to carbs and what electrical you can rip out, so I'll probably go through that.

Edit: Well the build thread or wherever this is supposed to go.