New guy with a Ratsun

LifelikeStatue

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while and since I just bought my first 510 I thought I should join and introduce myself.

My name's Eric, I'm from Surrey BC in Canada eh. I've built an off-road Jeep, rallied a couple of Toyotas and just sold my Jetta (that I crashed) and am now entering the exciting world of the 510.

I found a solid 72 4 door in Chilliwack for a good price and brought it home a few days ago. So far nothing major to post just a little wiring repair, fixed the seat mount and a few other small things to make it roadworthy. It's had some work done by the previous owners but there is no rot, a miracle for the wet coast of BC, and it's a driver so I'm happy with the way things have turned out so far. 

It has the L Series 1600 with a weber and the 4 speed stick. Body work, while needed will be done after it's driving the way I want it to. I'm more of a "looks like crap, goes like stink" kind of guy and I like the rat rod look, which this 510 has.

510c_zpse148b083.jpg

510b_zps04229687.jpg

510a_zpseacce444.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eric, nice to have another Canadian here.  Glad you got a runner.... it's worth the extra to be able to enjoy it while you make it yours. I'm more of a purist and hate POs that punch holes in our Datsuns for something as useless as hood pins. What are your plans for her?

Front fenders and air dam are one fiberglass piece and will be gone when I can get some new fenders. Hood will be replaced, maybe cowl induction. Rear spoiler I'm on the fence about but the wife likes it. Engine will remain for now but I want to find a 5 speed for the highway. I'll probably go to coilovers and be replacing all the suspension bushings to tighten everything up. For the interior I plan on using Durabak bedliner. I'll upgrade the brakes eventually and lose the 13"s. I would really like to replace the whole wiring harness as there's splices and breaks and who knows what all through it. After that, maybe some paint.

• 4 months later...

So after having it sit at my inlaws for a few months, I got an underground parking spot at my apartment and was able to finally do some work. Nothing huge, just some minor improvements.

Cheap tach

IMG_20130707_174239_zps731c926b.jpg

New shiftknob from a derelict skateboard. Credit to 710Hippy for the idea

IMG_20130707_174228_zps76e10c46.jpg

I had to get rid of the trunk lid. I came off the fence on the side of ugly, heavy and in need of replacement. I found a fiberglass lid that weighs about a quarter of the bondo'd monstrosity. I retapped the hardware and it bolted right in.

Before

IMG_20130701_162411_zpsa8101e5d.jpg

IMG_20130701_162457_zps95ef66c3.jpg

After. So much better.

IMG_20130707_174135_zpsce44f56b.jpg

IMG_20130707_174149_zps6ba4d757.jpg

IMG_20130707_174205_zps4a043dea.jpg

That's it for now. Just got the supplies for the PCV system and I've got to get some new gauges to replace the old and busted one's that came with the car.

IMG_20130707_165007_zps3a893ad5.jpg

They're just pellet guns, we are in Canada.