Installing rear fiberglass (bubble) flares

Hi guys, I ordered some rear bubble flares from futofab and i believe they will be arriving in about 2 weeks. In the mean time, I have been looking up how to install them... it doesn't seem like there's a write-up so I thought I'd start asking questions and update here as I install them.

I am not referring to ZG flares, I am referring to these type of flares:

149DSCN0188.JPG

I know i need to position, mark and pie cut the existing fenders, bend them out and cut the tabs off. Is there a tool that works better than any other for this? I have an oxy/acetylene torch, grinder w/cut off disc and a sawz-all. Which is the preferred tool? I am assuming cut off wheel but i've seen what appear to be marks from a torch on a lot of guys fenders after they have cut out sections... so i'm not sure now.

Do most people just lay fiberglass over the fenders onto the body and sand it down to keep it in place or do they rivet them in, then do the same. I am not a body guy and the most i've ever done is bang out dents, etc. So any help/pointers in this area would be appreciated. If you have pictures, that would be cool too.

Anything else you can think of that I should know before starting? Post below! 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

This is for bolt on flares though. It is useful information, and I have already watched all 9 of them to get an idea of what to do.

What does everyone do with fiberglass flares though? If you look at the flares on the car image I posted above, it appears to be fiberglassed/bondo/sanded... how are they affixed to the car? Can you just lay some thin fiberglass on the fender where it meets the body, sand then paint it? That seems like it would be flimsy, which is why i asked about riveting, etc.

Many do a "minitub" in the rear with bubble flares on a 510. If you have the "how to modify" book, it's detailed in there. Here's a link to download the searchable PDF of the book from the 510 archives put together by okayfine from the 510 realm. 

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SLW5ZQ3kySkdIa2s/edit

edit: fixed link

• Like 1

if your not cutting the fenders then flares are pointless unless you want to be a million feet high. Im a paint and body guy and I really hate that video of the guy doing the "SCCA" Z. For metal quarter panels just place the flares where you want them, mark them, cut a bit below your mark, hammer the inner fender out/over the outter fender (you'll want to cut the outer a bit higher than the inner) and weld them back together. Then just bolt on or mold the flares in. 

• Like 1

54791886488f11e2ac5022000a9f18b3_7_zpsb954791886488f11e2ac5022000a9f18b3_7_zpsb9

this is the arch cut and the inner hammered up a bit.

f16937e6489611e2bf8b22000a1fb004_7_zpsdf

This is after a bit of hammering the inner over the outer

abbc1204489611e29dbc22000a1f9e59_7_zps6f

a bit more hammering... (this car had a 1/2" of bondo and tons of holes on the rear fender... hopefully yours will look better under there.) I can't find a picture of it welded but you get the idea... you'll notice the gap... that wasn't a mistake, it was rusted on the back side and i trimmed it out.

Start to finish this is about a 3 hour job for rears and like 20 mins fronts.

Thanks. all this does help a lot. I REALLY appreciate a link to the book, i don't mind reading to learn and do it often. I just haven't ever seen a single post about how to mold the fiberglass fenders on, so hopefully this helps someone else too.

P.S. What suspension is that in the last picture? 

Thanks. all this does help a lot. I REALLY appreciate a link to the book, i don't mind reading to learn and do it often. I just haven't ever seen a single post about how to mold the fiberglass fenders on, so hopefully this helps someone else too.

P.S. What suspension is that in the last picture? 

Its a 240sx and the coilovers are Tein super drifts. Molding in the fenders, i affix them to the body (if you have the rivet reliefs already just rivet it on and fill the reliefs) and a panel bonding adhesive like the guy in the video did. Then a thick strip of the panel bonding adhesive in the joint where the flare meets the body... let it set up and do a quick sand then cover the joint with a light weight body filler. If you are going to have to use a lot of filler to make it smooth then just lay some fiber glass over the joint/seam first. Ideally you'll want as little filler as possible or it may crack down the road. You'll put a lot of hours into sanding/shaping and its probably best to just pay some one to do it once you've cut, welded, and attached the flares.