choke does not seem open all way

Datsun R Fun

on my truck choke does not seem open all way, and runs rough. but if i open up the choke she purrs like a 79 datsun pickup.

my question do the autochokes on the hitachi carbs go bad, and if so what is easier, to go manual choke or to replace it with new auto choke ?

if answer is replace autochoke, would the one of my 74 620 work on the carb on the 1979(the truck with issue)?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The choke itself doesn't fail. There are lots of parts involved with the operation of the choke, so I wouldn't say the choke itself is 'bad.'

I'm not sure what the proper procedure is on adjusting the choke on a Hitachi. Probably not different from a Weber, where you loosen the three screws around the choke heater and rotate it to open and close the choke plate. 

Spray liberally around the back of the carb with carb cleaner and work all the linkages. Hold the throttle part open and close the choke by hand several times to loosen it up if stuck.

Possibly there is no power to the choke heater. The choke heater on the carb has a blue wire going to it. If you have a test light or meter it should read 12 volt or light the tester bulb only with the engine running.

If nothing, a quick fix is to connect the blue wire to the red wire beside it. This is the idle cut solenoid and is only on when the ignition switch is on. This should warm up the choke and turn it full off on about 5-8 minutes.

• Like 1

when i get up in morn, i will be oput there with multimeter and can of car,choke cleaner, with any luck we shall have motor that runs better.

i fiddled around, cleaned the liknages and choke stuff, seemed make the choke flaps range og motion what it should be, the autochoke apears to be working now, and power is to the choke heater. seems be running about the same. and think my buddies diagnosis of choke was not right as truck did not warm up, before he said anything. so think that is what the issue with choke was.

onto further search what is the root of the issue of low power output from motor. trying figure this out. still feel like tottal noob, relizing how lil i really know lol.