'87 Five spd manual "F" UP..

Archie

Hello All,

I believe I did a major boo-boo to my 4cyl, 5spd manual transmission on my D21. I had to change the "reverse light switch" on the transmission. Not CLOSELY comparing the new sw to the bad sw, I quickly installed the new switch, so I wouldn't lose a bunch of gear oil.    Suddenly, I only have 1st & 2nd gear, I can't shift into 3, 4, 5 and rev..... I pulled out the new switch to find the end was slightly messed up. I then found that the new switch was a 1/2" longer.........

I suspect that I have bent something inside the trans, a shift shaft or fork tube or whatever...... :crying: .I looked into the hole and can see a metal piece that runs front to back, and can feel an indent that I believe I made with that switch. I also had someone try and shift the trans, while I observed the hole and the metal piece did not move.....

What the hell did I do??????????? Does this mean a trans case split to replace whatever????

I have looked quite extensively for an exploded view of the trans to maybe get an idea what I must have bent, but have not found one.

Any help from my fellow Nissan'ers would be muchly appreciated...... :)

THX,,,AL

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I doubt you reefed on the switch hard enough to do any damage to the shift rod. Also if the new switch is 1/2" longer then the first one was shorter by that much and less likely to tough anything.

If you have the reverse light switch it should be in the front case half just behind the shift lever boot, correct?

Only shifting between 5th and reverse will move that rod.

It is on the front case, just behind the slave cylinder/clutch arm on the passenger side.  The shift boot is at the back, on the top of the trans?????
I find it hard to believe that a 1/2" would do anything either, but the trans shifted perfect prior to messing with this switch. And the end of the switch was boogered up a bit, like it rubbed on something.
Any other suggestions to determine the problem?? Should I pull the shifter and if so where do I go from there?
A mechanic @ work offered his bore scope, so I am going to try and take a peek inside. The thought of pulling the trans has me reaching for the RUM bottle!!!!! :crying:  

Corrected, I left LEVER out of the text.

How is the shifter?

Does it slide side to side in the neutral gate? If not....

On the driver's side of the tailstock about even with the speedo cable on theoposite side, is the reverse check sleeve. It has two small bolts holding it. Pop it out and look in there. Down in the botom are the selector forks. See if one is out of position. I'll try to post a picture. They all have to be in neutral in order to select any gear.

So the neutral gate is there? But you can't select 3/4 and 5/Rev???

Can you drive the vehicle in 1st? Does it moove or is it jammed???

The oil should be drained. I don't think it will be high enough to drain out but what your are looking for will be under the oil level.

Well I took a look with the bore scope. It wasn't a real clear view, but looks like the sensor screwed up against a shifting fork. Probably bent the shift rod just enough to bind the mechanism, preventing shifting.

Oh well, another blunder to add to the record book!!! :(

Better check the rum stock before I pull this tranny out!!! :thumbup:

I was going to try and repair it, but I think I will just use another 5 spd I have from a prts trk and call it a week........

THANKS for all the input !!! :thumbup: