The Flying Orange gets a second chance.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

At last I had the opportunity to start digging into the FO yesterday. I decided to take all the panels off of the front end and get the Volvo redblock and trans out of the way so I could get a good look at the bodywork the shop did over 30 years ago. From what I uncovered, I was terrified at the idea of someone having picked this car up and started driving it after the "repair".

I knew there was damage to the front end when I bought it, and the bodyshop that did the work was so embarrassed about their work, they used seam sealer and rubber undercoating to cover it all up. Not only that but there were bolts missing and loose that held the crossmember and suspension to the car. Under the core support, the radius rod tie-in plates were not bolted up since the alignment of the replacement front end was so far off, the bolts wouldn't go in. The entire clip was booger welded on to the towers rather than using nice neat fill welds where they could have cut the spot welds out instead of breaking them away from the other car.

I have started to cut all of the welds that the body shop did so I can remove the clip, fix/replace the metal and reinstall it properly. I also plan to add stiffeners to the front end to add some structural rigidity. I will continue to take pics throughout the project and post them here. While the clip is off, I will likely take the opportunity to get the Volvo redblock mounted and in place while I have room to work from the front of the car. But if I get lucky, I will use the front crossmember from a Volvo 240 and then the lca's, engine mounts and rack and pinion will simply bolt up to the car. More on that adventure later.

In the following pics, you will see misaligned and unattached structure, loose fasteners and holes that were blown into the sheetmetal from welding through. This is going to be a big project for me that will take a lot of my time to repair correctly, but I will have piece of mind afterward since I plan to drive this car very aggressively.

image_zpsefb25b77.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Well, It has now been 6 months since I started the cut on the front end and I have still yet to find the time to finish that same cut.  I want so badly to get this car fixed right and make it a driver again.  It has zero rust in it and if the front clip was done right, it would likely be one of the most solid B210's in the country.  The lack of miles on this car is astounding and the interior condition shows it well.  Now that I have 3 kids and two other cars that could be considered "projects", it is nearly impossible to find the time to put into this Datsun.

I wish I had a place to store it away for a few years until I had more time and money for it, but right now, that place is in my garage and it keeps me from parking something else in there that I would rather keep under cover during storms.

I may be posting this thing in the For Sale section soon against my better judgement.....

Wow, really?  No input on the thread until this beaut of a post.......nice.

I actually do feel bad about this and I am certain I will wish I hadn't sold it IF it actually sells.

It's called tough love :rofl:

Don't sell it man!  You've come so far, that thing is amazing.  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my 210 coupe..  It's been 8-10 months since mine left the driveway. Fucking miss it. You will miss it to.

Throw her together, drive her around a bit.  You'll fall in love instantly.  I ran straight pipe... with a 14" resonator.  The motor/exhaust combo will sing to you every time you drive it... making you fall even more in love with it :rofl:

Don't fucking sell it.

No really, don't lol

I know...I know!!!

I bought this because I missed my 78 GX.  Now I have it and don't have the funds to work on it.

It comes down to:

3 kids

1 income

1 'hotrod' I will not part with

1 daily driver that is about to need a motor

This car basically will pay for the engine I need for my wagon...hopefully.  If it sells at all....