Hello everyone. Newbie here! 5sp questions

kcobb454

Well thanks for having this fourm!

I have not played with Datsuns for many years, and now I have been re-born to the Datsun world.

I am working on a 1971 521 P/U. I have a 1975 L20B and just picked up a 1980 truck 5 speed. any useful info on converting this truck to the engine and tranny combo? I would assume that it should be a pretty problem free transplant, with maybe the exception of a driveline mod. is this a correct assumption?

The tranny was bolted to the original L20B from the 1980 truck.

Thanks for any input.

kcobb454

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The driveline will need shortened, and since that is going to need to be done, find a trans. yoke without the hole in the middle instead of using the 521 yoke.

Another transmission mount will need to be made, it will need to be shorter, and hang lower than the 521 mount, mine I made looks like this and uses the 1980 mount.

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

You will also have to relocate the shifter hole, as it is about 5 inches farther back, this can cause shifter issues, this is with the bench seat all the way back.

DSCN0893-1.jpg

DSCN0892-1.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

When you do the conversion, make sure that you use the collar/throwout bearing that goes with the clutch cover you are using, because if you don't use the proper collar, you will be on here asking why your clutch don't work right, and you will have to pull the tranny back out again'

If the 1975 L20b has a flywheel and clutch cover on it, you will need the collar off the transmission that was on that engine, unless the 1980 clutch cover is the same size as the 1975 clutch cover.