A few suspension questions...

SlammedSunny

Hey guys, Im about ready to finally purchase some coilover sleeves, now I am going to be using 280zx struts with MR2 inserts, so i know i have to shorten them, But what i would like to know is where do I weld the mounting ring for the coilovers? do I weld it so that when installed the sleeve sits level with the top of the gland nut? or higher or lower? or is it just personal preferance?

Second question, I have a KA24 in the garage that will be going into the B210, is 250lb too stiff of a front spring rate?  I am fine with it being stiff, i actually prefer it stiffer than softer

and final question, Has anybody installed a Mono-leaf in their B210? Ive been thinking about getting one made from flex-form but I dont know what a suitable spring rate would be to go with the front coilovers.  And ill post the order form, by chance does anybody have a leafspring out of a 2dr sedan B210 that they could fill in the measurements with?  My B is in the bodyshop and once it gets out it goes back to being the DD again, so I have little if any time to pull the rear suspension out. Plus I already have flipped one leaf so to take accurate measurements i would need to take the spring packs apart again.  http://www.flex-form.com/order.asp

Thanks again guys, and as soon as she is out of paint Ill be starting a Build log, hopefully be able to get some input from fellow ratsun enthusiasts. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But what i would like to know is where do I weld the mounting ring for the coilovers? do I weld it so that when installed the sleeve sits level with the top of the gland nut? or higher or lower? or is it just personal preferance?

Personal preference. I prefer the top just under the gland nut. Can't physically be higher than the nut on most cars, so either even or under. Location also depends on how tall the spring is you're using. Is it 8", 10", or 12"?

Also need to confirm the wheel has enough offset for the spring to go behind it, or else all these questions are already answered for you.   ^_^

Second question, I have a KA24 in the garage that will be going into the B210, is 250lb too stiff of a front spring rate?  I am fine with it being stiff, i actually prefer it stiffer than softer

It's gonna be stiff, but not jarringly so. Probably a good compromise. I'd start at 225, but that's me...

250 is probably good for a really low car, to lessen bottoming out.