240z steering rack

M240Z

I think that its time to replace my steering rack since its leaking/squeeking. I heard that by upgrading to a 280z steering rack ill will have a faster steering ratio? I was wondering if anyone can vouch for this upgrade? Also what other parts will I need to do it? I found articles on it a while ago but I cant find them anymore. Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 280z rack fits so long as you use 280z rack bushings which are larger. I have heard people say its a quicker ratio but never seen anyone confirm it. They sell steer knuckles that accomplish the same thing which is why not many would swap the rack for that intent.

I would just rebuild the rack you have if needed along with new poly bushings, inner/outer tie rods, bump stops, knuckles and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys, well I'm finally getting around to installing new bushings on my steering rack because the steering wheel had a little play. Can anyone help me out with how to re-install the rack? I can't get it back into the cross member because there is lack of space. Do I have to unbolt the engine and jack it up a bit? I'm thinking thats the only way around it, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help!

Matt

You should be able to slip the rack in and out without lifting the motor. Every bushing I have seen was one piece with a single cut in it. With poly bushings Idk anyone who has ever got them to sit snug and perfect like the regular rubber ones, most people tighten then down the best they can. Idk which your using, just a heads up. 

You should be able to slip the rack in and out without lifting the motor. Every bushing I have seen was one piece with a single cut in it. With poly bushings Idk anyone who has ever got them to sit snug and perfect like the regular rubber ones, most people tighten then down the best they can. Idk which your using, just a heads up.

Im Using the Prothane Poly Bushings. I Tried Sliding The Whole Rack Out But I Couldnt. I Still Got The Bushings On Though But Now I Cant Slide It Back Into The Seat Becaus Of The Bushing OnThe Passanger Side. I Heard If I Heat Them Up They Become More Forgiving?

Ya they do but I've never had to do that. I have the same bushings on my current, also on my previous 72. I install them lubed up with the rack in place, caps off and lifted as far as it will go. Slide the bushings in with the gap facing inwards and tighten the caps down. Be liberal with the lube so they will settle as much as possible when you tighten the caps down. There will always be a slight gap though, Idk anyone who has ever got them to sit perfectly flush like the stock rubber joints. The poly is just too stiff. They work excellent though, totally changes the steering feel for the better. Also stops the rack from moving side to side when turning lol. 

• Like 1

Ya they do but I've never had to do that. I have the same bushings on my current, also on my previous 72. I install them lubed up with the rack in place, caps off and lifted as far as it will go. Slide the bushings in with the gap facing inwards and tighten the caps down. Be liberal with the lube so they will settle as much as possible when you tighten the caps down. There will always be a slight gap though, Idk anyone who has ever got them to sit perfectly flush like the stock rubber joints. The poly is just too stiff. They work excellent though, totally changes the steering feel for the better. Also stops the rack from moving side to side when turning lol. 

Thanks so much! I think I see my problem, I used no lube. :poop: I think thats why I had a hard time getting them on there without pulling the rack out. Going to try it out again tomorrow, but the kit came with no lube so should I just use some greece?

No prob, I know its a pain in the ass job (like most bushings lol), totally worth it though. Use a NON petroleum grease. Petroleum grease will break down the bushings over time. 

Super Lube is a great synthetic. 
Super-Lube-Grease-Polyurethane-Bushing-G

• Like 1

No prob, I know its a pain in the ass job (like most bushings lol), totally worth it though. Use a NON petroleum grease. Petroleum grease will break down the bushings over time. 

Super Lube is a great synthetic. 

Super-Lube-Grease-Polyurethane-Bushing-G

Thanks so much!