Gonna bag my 73 620

Bugeye

So me and a couple of buddies from school were looking at the 73 yesterday and decided it was time to pull it out of parts truck status (since I already have everything I need off it) and bag it, would 5 inch notches be to much for it? We are going to do the 4 link in the rear.

Oh and FYI for what I have planned for this truck might piss a few of you guys off, but Im gonna be stuffing my Mopar 318 and 727 tranny in it and also drag race it in Sacramento

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hauling a 318 from a tradesman van in my 521. The damn thing was so massive that when it tilted on turns the whole truck shifted around.

I dont mind that you want a v8 in but which 318 is it? And bags are cool. I dont personally like the butchered bed floor though. I think you could get what you need without it. Have fun though.:D

Its the hp 318 out of my 69 charger, it spun a cam bearing so we replaced it with a 360, then totaled the car :( I have to have an engine to rebuild for my college and figured what the hell why not, I also have a narrowed 9in ford rear end, so either way I have to hack the bed, and I planned on running a cover on it anyway....when I get another one that is since I sold the bed to fineline (at the time I was going to cut the truck up....not gonna happen now..lol)

would 5 inch notches be to much for it? We are going to do the 4 link in the rear.

The notch height all depends on what size wheel and tire combo you'll be running. Five inches might be enough or it might be overkill. It's something you'll have to measure once you have an idea of what your wheel and tire diameter will be. This is especial important if your mounting the bags directly over the rear axle. If the notch is to high in this case it will take much more air pressure to get you truck to your desired ride height. Just measure carefully and everything should be cool.

Kenny

P.S. I just noticed in your profile you have a 69 bug. I just bought my wife a 77 standard beetle, which i beleive was the last year for them in the US. Any plans for that?

P.S. I just noticed in your profile you have a 69 bug. I just bought my wife a 77 standard beetle, which i beleive was the last year for them in the US. Any plans for that?

currently rebuilding it too:D

air bags and drag race in the same sentence? blasphemy... nah actually you can do it, however you won't do both well, pick one to do well and one not so well. You can make the air suspension work as well as a coilover setup for drag purposes, but that type of suspension won't work well for layin frame, the reverse is also true... you can probably find a middle ground somewhere, but you are treading uncharted territory.

Good luck.

air bags and drag race in the same sentence? blasphemy... nah actually you can do it, however you won't do both well, pick one to do well and one not so well. You can make the air suspension work as well as a coilover setup for drag purposes, but that type of suspension won't work well for layin frame, the reverse is also true... you can probably find a middle ground somewhere, but you are treading uncharted territory.

Good luck.

This is far from the truth. With the right setup, there is actually no difference between a 4 link car on coilovers, or air bags. In fact, the air bag actually will give you more tunability on the track.

A nice drag setup on air would be a nice strong parallel 4 link, with a watts link, and shockwave air coilovers. The shock in them is double adjustable for both compression and rebound, and you can also trasfer weight and make slight air pressure adjustments to hook a little better.

On another note though, air bags are not allowed on most race tracks, and theres usually good reason for it. What happens when you on the big end of the track, doing 120mph and you blow an airline??? Bye bye truck.

Heres mine with shockwaves, but if you really wanna hook good, i would go with the parrallel link over the triangulated

1221200691248AM10741.jpg