My 210, runs rough cold

wobbedennis

My Datsun 210 with the 1.4L engine, Hitachi DCH-306-63 2 bbl carb seems to have a problem running cold. it has a really bad miss and will barely run. when warmed up, runs like a top. I have checked for proper choke operation, and that has been confirmed. Choke works like it should, Spark plugs have been cleaned and regapped, the only problem plug was out of number two and it was oil fouled, no change, and the valves have been set to .14 hot if I remember correctly, Can't run a compression check as my tester has left me at some point during the move. any ideas and or solutions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the valves have been set to .14 hot if I remember correctly,

0.014" perhaps?

Take the top off the air filter, pump the gas peddle, choke plate should close fully, start, choke plate will open very slightly and fast idle will be engaged (1,800 to 2,200 RPMs)

When starting it's fully closed, when I nail it once to set it, I start it, then nail it again to open it. It remains closed but then gradually opens as the engine warms, it doesn't open a crack, but then again once it fires and runs I nail it again and release the choke

Yes, no need to immediately open the throttle after starting. But you will need to do so eventually. Sounds like the choke is working fine

Other cause of poor cold running include:

- fast idle set too low. Should be 1800 - 2400 rpm

- heat riser valve in exhaust manifold stuck open

- idle mixture incorrectly set

well I wound up doing it tonight. I lost the doughnut for the exhaust, and I have a new one to replace it. I started it and at idle, it ran better, but once I got in it a little to get her to move, back to her old tricks. took me five min to get her onto the ramps. didn't want to go, just stalled or once she warmed up (D@#$&%) she would then just spin her tire.