Clutch

I have a 1970 Datsun 521 with a L18 motor hooked to a 4spd, my clutch is starting to go out. And soon I will be putting my 79 280z 5 speed transmission. So this is the perfect opportunity for me to take care of that clutch. But when I called my local parts store they asked if it was LEVER SYSTEM or DIAPHRAM. I have no idea what type of clutch system I have how could I tell?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diaphragm Spring Clutch

Today's passenger cars and light trucks are now almost exclusively equipped with diaphragm spring clutches, because they maintain higher clamp load than lever style clutches throughout the service life of the clutch. As disc friction material wears, clamp load increases during the first half of clutch life before decreasing gradually to its original level. The pedal effort required to disengage a diaphragm spring clutch decreases at the end of the pedal stroke, reducing stress on release system components. Nissan uses the diaphragm style pp which has 15-20 fingers for the release bearing to push against.

Lever Style Clutch

Lever style clutches use coil springs to produce clamp load. As the friction material of the disc wears, the springs expand, reducing their clamping force and increasing pedal effort. Because of these disadvantages, passenger cars and light trucks are now almost exclusively equipped with diaphragm spring clutches. My first car I drove was a lever type with what looked like valve springs inside the pp. The release bearing pressed against only three fingers to work it.