73 610 engine vacuum diagram/pics requested!

Andyw

Hey everyone, I'm putting together a 73 610 goon and need some help with the vacuum lines. There really aren't too many, but I have a pair of lines for the vapor return and one capped off on the manifold that I am primarily unsure about. The car was running and driving good before, but I want to get it back to what it is supposed to be. Thanks!

Andy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

610flowguide002Large.jpg

The PCV valve is on the intake near the rear base of the carb. It will have a large rubber hose connecting it to a metal pipe coming straight out of the block which vents the crankcase fumes. There should be a much smaller rubber hose connected to the block vent pipe going over to the flow guide on the inner fender. (see (2) in the large circle in the above picture) The flow guide will also have a small hose (1) to the air filter and one to the fuel tank vent line.

In operation.... when the motor is off gasoline fumes in the sealed tank accumulate and force their way into the crankcase. The fumes are prevented from going to the air cleaner by a one way valve. When the motor is started, manifold vacuum draws all fumes from the crankcase through the small metered orifice in the one way PCV valve. As the gas tank is emptied and the tank has a negative pressure, air is drawn in through the one way valve in the flow guide from the air filter.

PCV valve: It is a metered air leak. The air fuel mixture is unaffected by this as the carburetor compensates for it. It has a built in one way valve so that a back-fire will not be allowed to ignite any fumes in the hoses or the crankcase. It has absolutely no effect on running or performance. It does reduce emissions but it's greatest asset is that it removes fuel and water vapor and combustion blow-by gasses inside the crankcase thereby extending oil changes and keeping the motor cleaner.

Well there will be one to the valve cover vent.

A 2" flexible hose down to the exhaust manifold for warm air.

A small hose from the thermostatic valve (which regulates the opening/closing of the air valve in the snorkel of the air filter) to the intake vacuum.

Another small hose to the guide valve.

Take a picture.

• 3 weeks later...