1979 Datsun 810 Wagon A/T. Needs good home. $2000 obo / TRADE

You folks know more about these than I do so I'm not going to drone on about stuff you already know.

This little car runs and stops good, drives fine, I just don't really like it, someone else should enjoy it.

Odometer works, is at 10K, judging by pedals, etc. I would say it's only 110K actual miles.

This thing is surprisingly complete and functional, down to the original floormats and power drivers mirror.

Here is what is missing:

Front washer fluid reservoir/pump

Battery electrolyte sensor, so battery warning lamp stays lit, really annoying

Hubcaps

original lugwrench

Hood ornament

Power antenna (it has a standard replacement that seems ok)

wing nut for jack stowage

This is what is bad:

Rear bumper is RUSTY, on the bottom, just like many others I have seen

Front fenders are rusty at the bottom, though it does not seem to be anywhere on the actual body shell.

Radio is nonoperational, but will make static.

The glove box hinge is now zipties, but it cannot be seen easily and works fine.

The right side air vent has been somewhat massacred but still operates as intended.

The console lid hinge and latch are FUBAR, have not installed cabinet hinge YET.

The original cigarrette lighter does not work, outlet has power though.

Fuel guage is MAX at 3/8 of a tank, actually runs out way below E, have not fooled with it yet.

The heat will not turn off, no way to get cold air, have not fooled with this yet as it is cold currently.

The drivers seat has tears in the bottom part, not bad but not perfect or pretty. (my ass doesn't care, the lumbar support still works)

Most times when you start it it immediately stalls, but upon restart is fine. I have not had time to fully diagnose this problem.

There is a noise from the rear axle like a shaft bearing starting to go but there is no play in it and seems like it's the early stages of failure.

Front passenger door panel is the correct color, but appears to be slightly different than the other 3, I assume a year different.

Everything else I could mention is trivial like the stain on the rear carpet and the slight dent in the hood, check out the pictures.

This is what surprised me as good:

The rear washer reservoir is there, with lid and cover and the motor works.

The power mirror works great.

The warning system still works as it should, as does the key buzzer.

Dome light sensors and all dash lights including glove box are fine.

Transmission seems super solid and leak free.

Air conditioning compressor works, previous owner claims the system worked but developed a hole in a rubber hose.

All seat adjustments and rear seat folding is just how it's supposed to be

All locks match and have no problems.

Emergency brake works great on both rear wheels.

The back windows roll all the way down, way to go Datsun.

This is what is NEW that I have installed:

All 6 injectors and fuel pressure regulator

Rear brake cylinders, shoes, hardware, drums.

Brake master cylinder

Alternator

Coolant temp sender for guage

This is what comes with the car, new in box, not installed:

Front brake rotors and pads and hardware kit

Axle bearings and seals (but not retaining collars)

Water pump (was in car when I bought it)

Air filter (it has a good one on it already)

Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter (previous owner had already done tuneup, but I didn't want to pay shipping again later)

Also included:

Factory service manual for 1979 Datsun 810 missing the front cover

I am more interested in a trade as I do need something to drive, but cash pays the bills. Let me know what you are thinking, my only stipulations are NO frontwheeldrive except saab, no automatics except Volvo, nothing Japanese except trucks.

PICTURES WILL FOLLOW!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Sweet man welcome to the 810 club!

Thank you. I have wanted one since I found out that the 810 was essentially a z-car platform a wagon body. Now I just have to figure out how to swap out this slushbox of an automatic tranny! I never thought I'd find a 79 wagon that I could afford so I never really looked for one. I completely stumbled on this one while looking for a 720 pickup. The way I see it, I can get z performance (sort of) and still be able to haul stuff like a truck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.