Fiber Optic switches and knobs question

My 73 1200 had the light up wiper switch but not the headlight switch, so I bought one from another car and installed it. Then I found some of the newer knobs on ebay with the pictures on them instead of just text. Turns out they don't seem to instal the same. The original had a spring loaded slotted disc on the back that you push and twist to instal. The newer ones don't have the spring thingy. What holds these ones on? Is the switch different?

I also bought the 620 intermittent switch off ebay, but whoever pulled it from the truck just yanked the knob off and broke off the little ears that hold the knob, so I have to do something different there anyway, maybe glue them on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. The knobs I bought have the pictorgrams like the wiper knob in the first pic, but are the green light up variety. Drilling and pinning the damaged switch would likely block the fiber optic function. I will have to look at it closer. I am building my own acjustable delay box from a schematic I found on-line. The electrical part I can do. Just don't know how the knobs attach on the newer switches. I will try and get a pic of the back side to clarify.

Those are JDM or EURO switch knobs. USA regulation required text label.

FMVSS 101

Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-72)...All manually operated controls must be identified by words

As expected they reversed that decision in 1980, requiring a symbol.

Japan-market Datsun 1200 continued to use symbol

16809.jpg