Engine Hesitates, Stumbles, Misses when Cold

mperkin4

1983 200sx 5 speed.

Engine runs well when warm, but when initially started from cold, it will hesitate, stumble, miss when put under load from a standstill. The more gas it's given, the worse it will stumble. The only way to make it move is to gently rev the engine up to 2000+RPM before gently letting out the clutch, and then it will stumble for a while after moving to 2nd gear. Once warm, she's much better with only minor misses in lower rpm ranges.

I've changed the spark plugs, wires and the ignition coil (noticed a visible spark from the coil that escaped the wire - weird). PCV valve I've removed and cleaned with 24hours in a cup of varsol. Anyone had this before? Is it an air/fuel mixture issue, or spark? Next move is to replace the distributer cap.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an EFI car.

1983 200sx 5 speed.

I've changed the spark plugs, wires and the ignition coil (noticed a visible spark from the coil that escaped the wire - weird). PCV valve I've removed and cleaned with 24hours in a cup of varsol. Anyone had this before? Is it an air/fuel mixture issue, or spark? Next move is to replace the distributer cap.

Yeah to be sure get a new cap. There are 8 wires jammed into a small space so if in bad shape it's very easy for the spark to jump to another wire. AND A ROTOR. The rotor separates two ignition systems the intake and the exhaust sides. It has to be in good shape.

Try this first so the ignition can be eliminated as a cause.

Timing should be in the 8? degrees Before TDC range.

Set the valve lash.

These last two are easy to do your self.

London. Was there a couple of years ago to a wedding.