need help deciding which motor to swap

doomdatsun

hi guys,

I feel ill cuz of my engine failing due to a rear main seal leak, the leak is due to a groove in the crank. I'm already not thinking of fixing it unless it will be a good solution, tried to find a speedi sleeve but couldn't find any on ebay. I'm considering one of three swaps:

RB20DE

L24

L28

the L motors are carburated with downdraft hitchi carb not SU's.

what I'm looking for is a motor with high RPM range and peak torque around mid to high range.

to tell the truth I won't be doing the swap any time soon as I'm broke and jobless, so I have the time to think and do plans, what are your thoughts ?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys,

I feel ill cuz of my engine failing due to a rear main seal leak, the leak is due to a groove in the crank. I'm already not thinking of fixing it unless it will be a good solution, tried to find a speedi sleeve but couldn't find any on ebay. I'm considering one of three swaps:

RB20DE

L24

L28

the L motors are carburated with downdraft hitchi carb not SU's.

what I'm looking for is a motor with high RPM range and peak torque around mid to high range.

to tell the truth I won't be doing the swap any time soon as I'm broke and jobless, so I have the time to think and do plans, what are your thoughts ?

You should fill in your profile with what car or truck you have. Saves anyone having to ask every time you post. Your location is also helpful when buying, selling or looking for help. Someone could be near you that can help but if they don't know that, they can't offer can they?

I drive 1983 datsun laurel with six cylinder L20a, swapping any engine is a breeze (all have same mounting points), I just can't get a damn answer, I want to put an RB20DE but my self feels like I killing the datsun soul of my car, L motors just have that special place in my heart if you know what I mean

Well this helps a bit.

Not very familiar with the Cedric or the L20 that's in it. Did you look at putting an L24 or L26/28 crank and rods in it? All L pistons we got in the L4 and L6 cylinder are the same pin height. Rods interchange also.... maybe the L20s do too. IF the L24 or the L26/28 cranks and rods fit there would be a displacement and compression increase too.

L20 with L24 crank becomes a 2.111cc motor

With an L26 or L28 crank becomes a 2263cc motor.