77 620 w/720 colum????

i pulled the dash harness out my kc an wasnt to happy. 4 melted plugs butchered wires no fun. so the best i can gather is that they put the 720 colum in the 620. rght befor itook out the harness tail lights blinkers an dashlghts all went out. so i went to the junk yard an bought a new harness out a 77 kc. but a few of the plugs dont match up. an i still have to wire in the new colum. help. what should i do?:(:confused:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be able to swap the plastic 620 highbeam/turn signal lever controls onto the 720 column. The 720 turn signals switch assy can't be adapted for 620 use because the 720s used a separate rear turn signal light where the 620s turn the rear brake lights off and on to signal. The plastic 'ring' (that holds the turn signal and wires) has a philips head screw that tightens a clamp to hold in position and I think I used the 720 ignition (has steering lock too) Seems to me that the steering wheel will now sit too far out for the tabs on it to reach the turn signal cancel lever. I trimmed two nails and tapped them into the ends to extend them and it worked. The only problem was there was a gap between the wheel and the two piece black plastic cover that wraps around the column to hide everything.

Later I used the 720 dash and matching wire harness and replaced the 620 plastic ring/highbeam/turn signal with the proper 720 one. It has the headlight on/off/parking lights by twisting the turn signal arm. Way better than reaching for the 620 switch on the dash. On the other side of the column is another arm for the variable pulse delay wipers. The 720 two piece cover and wheel now fit properly and I didn't need the nails for the turn signals.

i went an bought a 620 colum the one that matched the harness. now the truck wont start an the lights still dont work.:( i feel so retarded today:confused: any body lve near portland willing to come help me saturday? ggrrrrrrrrr

Sorry, I thought you had converted to 720 column. The 620 column isn't really removable. So you now have a new wire harness in your rig?

Best that you get a test light $5-10 bucks. It has an alligator clip on one end of a wire and a probe on the other with a 12 volt light. Perfect for checking if there is power or ground in a circuit.

Start with the fuse box. Do you have power coming into it ?

What steering box is in it? The 620 had a one piece column and box, the 720 had a separate box with a spline and U joint on the column. Lot of work and changes to swap but with the 720 you could actually install power steering.

where is the ignition box for a 77 620. my 78 was in the passenger side kick panel but i cant find the one for my 77. i think that may be related to the new harness i just put n. i cant get it to sparknow. i got the light to work except where the wired in a trailer light. now she dont run:confused: