weird clutch noise 71 five&dime

so i have a 71 510 2 door, when the clutch peddal is pushed in the noise goes away but when out you can hear a rumble/vibration/ buzzing kind of noise like a washboard if that makes sense, i just replaced the clutch and pressure plate today, it did make this noise before just not as loud. everything seems fine. just not sure if this noise is normal

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the clutch peddle is down nothing in the transmission is moving. When up and in neutral the input shaft and counter shaft are spinning. Probably a bearing in the transmission. Check the oil level. Low will growl.

What transmission is in it?

Z and ZX 5 speeds are the same outside but have various ratios inside. The ZX turbo 5 speed it totally different. Post a picture of it and I may be able to say for sure what it is. Show the driver's side at the back.

The fill plug is about half way up the side of the case. Full is when you can't put more in the hole. I can't see why it would only take one quart before.

well its in the car already i put another quart it shut up the noise in idle quite a bit you can still hear it, only when reving but it sounds normal. im sure its just a a 280z transmission i think a 77 not entirely sure it was already in the car when i bought it. i just have this weird rattle noise i think its the timing chain i heard oil pressure can change this?

• 4 weeks later...

well its in the car already i put another quart it shut up the noise in idle quite a bit you can still hear it, only when reving but it sounds normal. im sure its just a a 280z transmission i think a 77 not entirely sure it was already in the car when i bought it. i just have this weird rattle noise i think its the timing chain i heard oil pressure can change this?

To some extent the tensioner does push out from oil pressure but mostly spring. Try 20W anything rather than 10W30. It's thicker and will have better oil pressure. If the motor is old and the chain never replaced it probably needs it. Try an oil/filter change first

mite try putting synthetic in it (yea i know cost to much) that will help quiet it down more my moms 99 dodge had the same issue the synthetic helped a lot work pretty good in my 84 720 also

Synthetic oil in the tranny or the motor can leak past seals and gaskets on older cars. Just sayin' it does happen. I've lost a rear end this way. It simply ran dry over the winter when I wasn't under there at all and during the bad weather wetness is less noticeable. I put a new transmission seal in before I re-filled with synthetic and no problems. My trans case on the truck started leaking around the bottom output seal. Replaced... OK, Then the top one, replaced ... OK. Never leaked before and started a month after switching.

Transmissions have an easy to get at rear seal worth $5 so change that and go ahead. I find it shifts easier when cold than the older oil. The shifter makes a nice (perhaps louder) click into each gear that I find reassuring..