L16 / L18 Y Pipe or whole exhaust for 620 73'

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try and mount it in. I don't trust electric fans, and since I have the room i'll see if i can get away with the clutch fan. Engine came out a 521 and I got a KA radiator (i believe) so I have a decent amount of space for a clutch fan.

You are aware that the clutch and pump are one piece?

Do you know if the y pipe for a 510 would bolt up to an l18? I want to use the Y pipe and then attach a single pipe to it to complete the missing section of my exhaust under the car. Reason i want a y pipe is so i can keep the flange without having to weld 2 pipes to the headers...

The L16/18 exhaust manifolds are the same so the 510 Y will bolt up, at least the bolt pattern is the same. The 510 has two down pipes that are fairly long that eventually join together at a Y and will be bent differently to clear the steering linkage while the truck pipes are much shorter (a few inches) and join and has a torsion bar in the way to clear.

When mine rusted off (to the point that the tailpipe fell off the remains of the Y-pipe) a local muffler shop was able to make one. It took a couple hours, and it's certainly not stock, but it works and doesn't leak.

How much did you have to pay. See the problem is, last time i had to exhaust work i ended up paying close to $300 at which point i would have been better off buying one. Most of the shops around my area (there are a million of them withing a 2 mile radius) are owned by shady characters and the only person i trust is 20 miles away. I dont want to tow the car because if some shop wants an arm and a leg ill have to go elsewhere and that could become a real problem.

Well, it was probably around $300, but it also was a whole new exhaust from the Y-pipe all the way to the back, new muffler, and hangars. What fell off honestly looked like it could have been 35 year old original pipe and muffler. Since I was not within driving range of home (not with the pipe dragging) and it happened on the freeway, I pulled into the nearby shop which was a local chain.

I guess the difference is, do you want it fixed now, or can you wait up to 6 months to find one? I've seen enough Y-pipes at junkyards (and left them behind) that just aren't in good enough shape to spend the $40 a U-pull wants for them. Most I can put a screwdriver through with zero effort. You'd think that there'd be enough around with all the engine swaps, but really the only ones that really fit are 521 and 620 ones from 70-74. And how many are still intact? Not many.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.